Author Topic: Recent issues with the getmusicbee.com website  (Read 10528 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
In addition to the forum loading links very slowly today, I've seen five 500 internal server errors in less than ten minutes.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
Yes i have seen a few as well. Unforunately i think what has happened is when the web hosting provider moved musicbee to a new server, they reduced the memory allocation for PHP - probably in order to squeeze more sites onto the one shared server (I dont know this for a fact but it I think its very plausible based on what I know).
When the site runs slow, often i see a spike on cloudfare for invalid requests.
Apart from the planned change AvikB will do for the addons page, I dont think there is much more that can be done short of getting a dedicated web server which is very expensive.
If anyone reading this is a server administrator or knowledgeable about web hosting i would be interested in any comments.

phred

• Global Moderator
i think what has happened is when the web hosting provider moved musicbee to a new server, they reduced the memory allocation for PHP - probably in order to squeeze more sites onto the one shared server (I dont know this for a fact but it I think its very plausible based on what I know).
While not a server admin, I did spend more years than I care to think about in IT managing a 300+ user network. What you say does indeed sound plausible. Unfortunately.

I dont think there is much more that can be done short of getting a dedicated web server which is very expensive.
I think a dedicated server should not even be considered. I certainly don't want to see an increase in your expenses. And crowd-funding might work at the start, but the funding is not likely to be sustained after the initial push. So I'm content to live with it as is. Would you like me to continue reporting the 500s, or just let it go?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
Would you like me to continue reporting the 500s, or just let it go?
Probably not needed until AvikB has made the next version available

AvikB

Yes i have seen a few as well. Unforunately i think what has happened is when the web hosting provider moved musicbee to a new server, they reduced the memory allocation for PHP - probably in order to squeeze more sites onto the one shared server (I dont know this for a fact but it I think its very plausible based on what I know). When the site runs slow, often i see a spike on cloudfare for invalid requests. Apart from the planned change AvikB will do for the addons page, I dont think there is much more that can be done short of getting a dedicated web server which is very expensive. If anyone reading this is a server administrator or knowledgeable about web hosting i would be interested in any comments.
Yeah i am also suspecting the same.
Honestly at this point the issue might persist even with the new update. Couldflare should've solved the caching issue, but since it hasn't..... i don't think any caching implementation would help.

In the long run maybe switching to a new hosting provider will solve this problem.

Alumni

Edit: All good now. Submitted an add-on earlier but it wasn't published to the add-ons page until a long while later, even though I could view it from a direct link.
Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:14:36 PM by Alumni

Steven

• Administrator
there is a 4 hour caching rule on the main add-ones page in place with cloudfare to help with the "500 Internal Errors" ie. you wont see new submissions straight away

Alumni

there is a 4 hour caching rule on the main add-ones page in place with cloudfare to help with the "500 Internal Errors" ie. you wont see new submissions straight away

Ok, that would explain it. Maybe AvikB could add a notification during the add-on submission process, to avoid confusion.
Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:32:22 AM by Alumni

AvikB

Ok, that would explain it. Maybe AvikB could add a notification during the add-on submission process, to avoid confusion.
You need to wait until the next version of the website releases. I didn't got any chance to work on the new site for the past 2 week. Hopefully i will get some time this week.
I will probably add the notification if the site still needs cloudflare caching after the new update.