9 (13.6%)
MP3 320k
21 (31.8%)
M4A
4 (6.1%)
FLAC
31 (47%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Which file format do you prefer?  (Read 11309 times)

Will

Personally, I rip MP3 VBR V0, buy V0 from Amazon, and get 320k from JunoDownload (and every once in a while FLAC from them).

Which format do you prefer?

Mr. Trev

FLAC at home

If I need lossy for potable use, I'll convert to AAC when necessary (typically I only go lossy for albums with low dynamic range)

awh11

While I actually like M4A over MP3 due to it's general advancement in size:quality ratio...am I finding that now since I don't have a Mac anymore, most files are coming to me in MP3 or I have to encode in MP3 and to be honest its not a big deal. Quality is the same. 

I do like FLAC for its quality, but since my music lives on a NAS that can is sometimes used by a few devices w/ DLNA (PS4, TV, Blu-Ray Player etc.), some of these devices are limited in what formats they support so I chose MP3 320 for compatibility's sake...and it won't break the bank for storage on portable devices.

tom white

What about the other options not listed in the poll? Where is AAC or WMA? Are polls on the board software limited in the number of choices you can list?

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
AAC 265kbs

I'm too old to notice differences to FLAC, a hearing test showed roll-of at about 10kHz.
Would take too long to re-rip to FLAC then probably fill up my HDD  ;D

frankz

MP3 V0 is the perfect combination (for me) of size, quality and compatibility.

If you have a large collection, the space wasted for no benefit in using 320 CBR over V0 VBR is staggering.

I keep backups of my physical collection in FLAC for security in case anything happens, but in my listening situation I've seen no benefit ever to listening to it over V0 VBR.

mhk1058

Just thinking about converting my CD collection to ALAC (so I can stick 'em in the loft and free up some physical space). Use iTunes for easy syncing (and device backup) so seems the sensible option over FLAC.

I assume that MusicBee plays back ALAC files OK? Can't find any reference to it anywhere.

BeeBeeKing

Ditto Frank

MP3 V0 is the perfect combination (for me) of size, quality and compatibility.

If you have a large collection, the space wasted for no benefit in using 320 CBR over V0 VBR is staggering.

I keep backups of my physical collection in FLAC for security in case anything happens, but in my listening situation I've seen no benefit ever to listening to it over V0 VBR.

sveakul

Personally I rip to Opus 1.2.1 at 160k for building my PC playlists, which I have found to be transparent for my own ears.  Am converting some old flac's to same as well to save space.  I understand the concerns of others with this codec as far as device compatibility, but feel it's here to stay in the long run.

supersonic

There isn't an easy answer for me, I prefer MP3 over any others because of its ID3v2 tagging system both work on everything and it's very mature and well documented, but when I ripped all my CDs I chose ALAC for two reasons, 1. it's lossless because I never want to go through and rip them again and if ALAC fades away I can convert them to another lossless format with no problem, and 2. I chose ALAC over FLAC because in my testing before I started the ripping I much preferred the MP4 tagging system over FLACs and also it displayed the metadata in the File Explorer of Windows 7 at the time (although Windows 10 can now display FLAC metadata as well).

Jeff Hardy

Flac is the best music format I would like to choose when I listening to Music on My PC or My Smartphone. It makes me Enjoyable and kind of bit professional.  8)
I love Jeff Hardy so I want to be A person like him!!!

Phaedrus

FLAC is first choice, anything MP3 in descending order of quality, then, anything else.

No, I can't tell the difference between FLAC and MP3, 320. But, I have a bit-perfect and playable backup of my CD, and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that my source isn't my limitation.

Maybe in the next 10 years they figure out how to augment human hearing. I can check out my old FLAC files and hear what I've been missing. MP3 People get to buy "The White Album" again. Besides, drive space is cheap.
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

Gellan

Undoubtly FLAC for storage
High-quality, also supports ID3 tagging quite well, while WAV or APE both sucks in tagging.
But it REALLY costs time to download Hi-Res music online...
Greetings from China ;)
Poor in English but trying hard to handle it... :-\