Author Topic: Using Musicbee with an iPod without iTunes installed  (Read 13932 times)

grayin

This is the method that worked for me.  I have a new Windows 7 computer and I moved my Musicbee library from another computer to the new one.  (and I have some ideas to suggest to Steven to make that easier)  But how to get my iPod touch to work without installing the huge iTunes installer?  What you need is the apple device driver for the iPod and quicktime.  I don't understand the quicktime one, but you need it.  The way to get the device driver is to download the huge iTunes installer from itunes.com , but DON"T install it.  Open the itunes installer EXE file with winrar or IZarc or some other free archive reader and you will see a file called "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi."  Extract that file and install this.  There is a quicktime installer also in this file, but I could not get it to work.  I downloaded the installer from quicktime.com (just quicktime not the itunes and quicktime installer again) and after this I hooked up the iPod and voila, windows and Musicbee found it with no iTunes installed.  Hope this helps someone else.  :)

Edit:Wanted to add that my main motivation for doing this was to avoid all the junk that gets installed along with itunes and runs in the background everytime you turn on your computer.  Musicbee is much better for not impacting the performance of your computer.
Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:38:36 PM by grayin

VX

It seems I have much simpler solution. All you need is a little (2,31 MB) freeware driver:
CopyTrans Drivers Installer automatically installs the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad drivers without installing iTunes.  :)

The driver was updated in January 2011
Download link: http://download.cnet.com/CopyTrans-Drivers-Installer/3000-18546_4-75300288.html?tag=mncol;pop

Instead of bloated QuickTime Player you can try to use QuickTime Alternative Lite (QTLite  4.1.0- 17,3 MB to download):
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/QT-Lite/1182968126/1

For updating the driver manually, have a look here: http://www.stanojevicbrothers.com/download-usbaaplsys-driver-to-recognize-iphone-with-itunes/   - it seems a little outdated though, so You'd better use the newest driver from the first link.

BigHam1

This will be * extremely * useful -- will post more once I've figured out how to selectively move albums to my iPod and convert to Apple Lossless on the fly!

2ndfish

I know I know this is a very old topic I am posting here but does this still work for you guys? I tried @VX solution but MB does not recognise my IPodTouch 3 (IOS 5).
MB actually did recognise the ipod once but i couldnt move any music on it. SO i closed everything and tried again but now there is no response what so ever anymore.

I would really like to not use Itunes for obvious reasons...
[/quote]
Edit:Wanted to add that my main motivation for doing this was to avoid all the junk that gets installed along with itunes and runs in the background everytime you turn on your computer.  Musicbee is much better for not impacting the performance of your computer.
[/quote]

Thanks alread

boroda

mb works only with some ipod classics. but even for use them you need drivers installed (i.e. itunes). this instruction is to how install drivers without itunes.

if you want to use ipod touch with mb read faq page on musicbee wikia site.

phred

• Global Moderator
mb works only with some ipod classics. but even for use them you need drivers installed (i.e. itunes). this instruction is to how install drivers without itunes.
This might be helpful, but it's geared towards Classics. I seriously doubt you'll get it working with a Touch.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18506.0

As a side note, if you can get it working, that's great. But there's no point in asking Steven (MB's developer) for help since iDevices are not supported by MB. You can ask questions in the forum, but again, it's not likely you'll get resolution.
Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:10:53 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here