Author Topic: Access denied for track editing  (Read 6287 times)

somnomania

When I try to edit track info, I get an error:

Access is denied.
[C:\Users\somnomania\AppData\Local\Temp\(track name)]

I don't know why it's telling me about stuff on C: when MB and my entire music library are on E:. I've checked, and all the music files are there and NOT in read-only mode.

Steven

• Administrator
try updating to v3.1 from the downloads page to see if its still happening

somnomania

I did that yesterday or the day before to fix a different problem, which went away when I updated only to be replaced by this new problem.

Steven

• Administrator
when saving music files, sometimes MB needs to rewrite the entire file in the temp folder. Do you have write access to that folder?

somnomania

I think I do. I just checked properties on that folder, and the only thing unchecked under permissions for system/me/administrators is "special permissions", and it won't let me check that anywhere. It also isn't maintaining an unchecked read-only attribute on that folder; I uncheck it, hit apply, tell it okay, and then the next time I open properties it's checked again.

Steven

• Administrator
i dont think i will be able to help. There is something stop MB from writing to the temp folder.
If you do a tiny edit, replacing one character in the track title and save, then MB shouldnt need to write to the temp folder and you should not get the error ie. it should only be when making big changes, adding artwork etc.

somnomania

Well, it's happening when I just edit a few characters in a track name, so hopefully someone else knows what's causing this. I finally got myself together to properly move everything into MB so I could uninstall iTunes, and now this. :( I should add that while I was looking at the Temp folder on C:, there appeared to be several copies of the one track I was trying repeatedly to edit.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've occasionally gotten those kinds of messages, but it's never been persistent.  Probably a windows issue.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

vincent kars

Maybe deleting all files in the temp folder, tells you if you have access to them.
The that magical Windows trick that solves nothing but work often pretty well, a reboot.  :)

Steven

• Administrator
i have double checked the code and for mp3 files, MB only writes to the temp folder if you are increasing the tag size above a buffer value which usually means adding a picture or lot of characters.
When it writes to the temp folder, the name would be something like:
<original filename>~000005.mp3

If you are able to manually copy files into the temp folder using windows explorer then i am guessing its your security software doing something, so try whitelisting MusicBee

somnomania

I had a sudden brain wave and reopened MB under run as administrator, and it's not doing it anymore. So yeah, something with Windows being awful, I guess.  ;D

bretddog

I ran into this issue after a Windows 7 reinstall and attempts to copy old Musicbee library and/or settings folder. My music file folder was left untouched on a separate drive when I reinstalled Windows 7.

Here is the solution:

"Access denied" issues are caused by the Windows folder/file security permissions for your music folder/files. Files in a folder are normally set to inherit permissions from the parent folder, so you would likely want to change the top parent folder permissions, which will propagate to sub folders and files.

1) Add your Windows user account :
Folder > right click > properties > Security tab
If your Windows user is not in the list 'Group or user names', you need to add it :
Edit > add >
enter your user name in the box, click 'Check Names'
your user name should appear, select, click OK.

2) Take ownership of the folder :
Folder > right click > properties > Security tab > Advanced > Owner tab > Current owner
If Current owner is not your Windows user account, you want to change this setting. Click Edit and select your user.
Click OK, OK.
You can now also remove the user that previously had ownership, if that is a user name of a long number-string, which indicates it may be residue of previous windows installation that owned this folder.
Click OK.

3) Set permissions :
Folder > right click > properties > security tab > select your user > Permissions for ... > Full control, Allow [v]
OK, OK.

You should now have access to edit the files as expected, and Musicbee will also have access without need to run it as administrator.
Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:31:16 AM by bretddog

Evans

I have an alternative solution. If all above fail try this;check the "Properties" (Right click on the .mp3 file to reveal this option) of file you are trying (the music file in your library and not the one in the Temp folder) if they are "Read-only." For me unchecking this for the files that were giving me the "Access Denied" fixed the issue. Maybe it will for you.