Author Topic: Album sorting not working correctly with sort tags/name mapping.  (Read 1264 times)

tanstaafl

I have 3 albums by ABBA:

The Hits
The Hits 2
The Hits 3

This is the order I want to see them displayed, so I set the AlbumSort tag on "The Hits" to "The Hits 1". In the Album view and in the Album column of the Column Browser, they came out

The Hits 2
The Hits 3
The Hits

If I change the AlbumSort tag on "The Hits" to "Hits 1, The", then the Column Browser shows them in my desired order, but the Album View still shows "The Hits" last, not first.

It seems to me that perhaps MB isn't properly ignore "The" at the start of mapped album names. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

MusicBee v3.1.6388

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It sounds like something is off with the album view; column browser is actually correct, I think.

Have you tried setting all three to Hits 1, Hits 2, etc?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

tanstaafl

If I set the AlbumSort tags on the three to "The Hits 1", "The Hits 2", and "The Hits 3" then both the Column Browser and Album View display them in the wrong order ("The Hits 2", "The Hits 3", "The Hits"). I then went to the Album mapping table in Sorting Preferences and noticed that when I changed the AlbumSort tags for "The Hits 2" and "The Hits 3", the tags changed (i.e., they changed from the grayed-out "Hits 2, The"/"Hits 3, The" to normal text "The Hits 2" and "The Hits 3"), but no entries were created in the mapping table.

I then created mappings manually, and the Column Browser and View both sorted them correctly.

But I shouldn't need to create mappings, or change tags, for 2 and 3. I just need a tag/mapping for 1 because the 1 is missing from the title. Somehow the mapping isn't being treated as it if was a tag.

tanstaafl

And... after putting the tabs and mapping table back to the way they were before I made my initial post, the three albums are displayed correctly in both Column Browser and View, leading me to believe that perhaps something is/was corrupted in my database. Recommendation? Should I do a rescan? Will that reset and recreate the mapping table from the tags?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If I set the AlbumSort tags on the three to "The Hits 1", "The Hits 2", and "The Hits 3" then both the Column Browser and Album View display them in the wrong order ("The Hits 2", "The Hits 3", "The Hits"). I then went to the Album mapping table in Sorting

Whatever you put in the Sorting fields manually will NOT have the ignore words applied.  That's why I said "Hits 1", etc not "The Hits 1", etc.  Also, why "Hits 1, The" worked in the column browser, because the other two would automatically be converted to "Hits 2, The" and so on.

I'm not sure about the database sort mappings, Steven may have to weigh in on that one.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)