Author Topic: MB Freezing  (Read 3525 times)

late

This happens often in the library after MB has been open for 10-15 minutes or more.  The freeze occurs when I scroll through my album list.  Task Manager doesn't give an error, the program doesn't go unresponsive according to windows.  MB doesn't give an error and will actually play the currently playing song to the end, but nothing afterwards.  The progress bar will still keep going forward, but all other elements in MB are frozen.  I have to force close MB through task manager to restart.

MB gives no errors, and the latest entries in my error log are from 27th of July for removal of dead links.

MB 3.1.6417

Edit: This freeze seems to happen most often when MB is changing a song and at the same time I'm scrolling through the album list.  Seeing that people aren't reporting this bug it's likely a problem with my settings or config.
Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:58:22 AM by Mr. late

redwing

I've noticed the same thing too several times. It always happens during playback. Mostly in albums view, and as you said while scrolling album covers, but not sure there were times with other actions involved.
Do you have "click to play" button enabled in albums view configuration? Then I'd suggest disabling it for a while to see if the freezing has something to do with it (that's what I'm doing now). But I don't exactly remember if this had happened before the feature was implemented.

late

Do you have "click to play" button enabled in albums view configuration? Then I'd suggest disabling it for a while to see if the freezing has something to do with it (that's what I'm doing now).

Nope, I don't have click to play buttons enabled.

I tested out 3.1.6385 and it seems to work, no freezing while scrolling through albums, tracks are playing, or skipping through tracks.  Any dynamic effects (in my case spectrum visualization or volume meter) does get frozen whilst scrolling quickly.  This is probably a limitation of the UI drawing so it isn't a real problem.

3.1.6378 does hang for a second when changing tracks and scrolling at the same time.  No real issues.

3.1.6385 doesn't seem to freeze, but the problem is that there isn't a specific amount of time MB has to be open for the freeze to occur.  It could affect 6385 too, but it seems safe to rule out.  6385 hangs for a few seconds when scrolling and changing tracks.

3.1.6409 freezes after MB has been open for several minutes.

3.1.6410 freezes

3.1.6417 freezes

Like I said above, it's difficult to say when the freeze occurs.  Only thing I can say for certain is that it doesn't happen (on my HW) right after I've started MB, scroll like a madman and skip tracks.  And that the freeze happens after some time has passed.

redwing

In my case it always happened in an unexpected moment. Without any excessive scrolling or skipping involved, as rolling just one to two notch of the mouse wheel over album list, all of sudden clicking on any place doesn't work as it keeps playing. I can close it down using context menu of taskbar.

late

Since scrolling is involved I think the freeze occurs due to album art loading.

I can also pretty safely confirm that 3.1.6385 works fine.  I used it for a few hours and tried to scroll occasionally, no problems.

redwing

Since you seem to be able to reproduce the issue, can you try with all plugins disabled to see if it still freezes?

late

Just tried it with all plugins disabled, still freezing with 3.1.6417.

redwing

Thanks. Then I guess Steven will have to investigate the issue.
But I'm not completely sure if it's about scrolling artwork or something else, as you too said it happens some time after you scrolled.

late

For me it happens after MB has been open for some time (MB can be open for hours with no problems as long as I don't scroll).  The freeze occurs when I scroll, not after.

redwing

I was referring to this:

Only thing I can say for certain is that it doesn't happen (on my HW) right after I've started MB, scroll like a madman and skip tracks.  And that the freeze happens after some time has passed.

cmg

A bug report I posted is similar to yours.
MB sometimes stops working when scrolling files view: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22379.0

I hope this will be fixed.

Steven

• Administrator
do you scroll using the mousewheel or scroll bar. And if you use the Album & Tracks view, does it happen with that as well?

edit:
Nevermind. I actually managed to reproduce it but only after a period of time
Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:38:23 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this will probably fix it (it is related to the new play button even if not enabled but i cant prove for sure the issue is fixed because it really is down to timing/chance):
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:57:37 PM by Steven

late

By all accounts it seems that the fix worked, the active elements don't lag when scrolling and there are no more freezes.

Thanks a lot Steven.