Author Topic: How to remove a folder from the library?  (Read 6002 times)

captain_paranoia

I accidentally included a folder of media into the monitored folders list, and those files are now in the library, but I don't want them.

I have corrected the list of monitored folders, restarted MB, tried setting continuous monitoring, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to clear those tracks from the library.

If I enable the folder browser view, I can see the unwanted folder. If I right-click/delete, it actually deletes the physical folder (I tried, taking a copy first, given the warning it gives...). I don't want to physically delete the folder; I just want to delete it from the library.

I'm sure this is just a philosophical misunderstandng on my part, having used MediaMonkey too long, and got used to it presenting physical and logical library browser views, and allowing the library to be manipulated from either (actually, MM gives both choices; delete from library only, or delete from disk).

redwing

Just select those files> right click> delete> delete from library only.

MM gives both choices; delete from library only, or delete from disk

MB too gives the choices for files in the library but not for a physical folder from the computer node.

captain_paranoia

Thanks.

There are a lot of files, spread all over the library. I haven't found a way to find them all by the logical view of the source location (if you understand me...). I'm hoping not to have to track them down and remove them album by album. And there's a 'scripts' folder that contains no media, but still seems to be in the library folder browser view, even though it is now de-selected in the monitored folders.

So I'm right in concluding that a library re-scan won't automatically remove conent from the library that's in folders I unselect?

redwing

seems to be in the library folder browser view

There's no such thing as library folder browser. The folder browser element added to v3.1 is just the computer node separated from left navigator. You could think of it as Windows Explorer which has no idea about "library".

So I'm right in concluding that a library re-scan won't automatically remove conent from the library that's in folders I unselect?

You're right. Once they're in, they won't be removed just by changing monitored folder setting. The only way to remove them is to select and delete them from library.

Add "Path" column to the main panel and sort by it. That will help you to identify their physical location.

captain_paranoia

> There's no such thing as library folder browser. The folder browser element added to v3.1 is just the computer node separated from left navigator. You could think of it as Windows Explorer which has no idea about "library".

I meant that it appears to be a browser to the folders that are apparently included in the library; hence the presence of folders that contain no media. But not all the folders, IIRC, so I'm not sure that it's a simple file browser (my recollection could easily be faulty...). I'll check to see if folders I have never included in the library are shown.

But, yes, I agree that it has no idea about the library. In that sense, it's different to MM, but MM uses a physical folder view as the means to add folders to the library; there's no separate UI to configure scanned folders. Different strokes; I'm still finding my way around MB, and getting my head around 'how it thinks'.

> Add "Path" column to the main panel and sort by it. That will help you to identify their physical location.

I spent about an hour going through the settings last night, and I couldn't find a 'Path' view, which seemed the obvious thing to look for. Then I posted this thread... I'll try again, knowing that I should be able to find one. That ought to be the view I've been trying to find, and should do what I want.

> You're right. Once they're in, they won't be removed just by changing monitored folder setting. The only way to remove them is to select and delete them from library.

I can see that you might want to limit the scope of folder 'monitoring', to save MB having to trawl through the entire library each time. A different model of operation.

Thanks.

redwing

couldn't find a 'Path' view

It's not a view but a field that you can add by "Set Displayed Fields" menu upon right clicking on column header of the main panel.
Also adding Date Added column to the main panel would be helpful if you added the folder to the library later than other folders.

redwing

seems to be in the library folder browser view
There's no such thing as library folder browser.

I should make a correction. Looks like such a feature was added during my absence on the forum:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20988.0