Author Topic: "calculate and write missing replaygain tags for new music files"  (Read 4183 times)

Hoofer

I add new music files using windows explorer dragging and dropping into the MB monitored folder /Music.  Although in the Tags(2) options I have checked "calculate and write missing replaygain tags for new music files", MB adds the new files to the library when starting but fails to calculate and write missing replaygain values in the tags of the new music files.  Am I doing something wrong?

mattbaker88

I also have this problem on my setup. Continuously monitored and auto-organised folder with new files added to the library rather than the inbox.

Would be great if the new tracks were sent to the volume analysis automatically and used the last replaygain offset value (slider currently set to +2.0 dB).

I've just noticed that if drag a new track to the inbox it analyses the volume, but with the default offset of 0.0 dB. Any way to override this to my preferred value of +2.0 dB?
Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:45:21 PM by mattbaker88

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe. I tested by sending a test track from the inbox to the library (right-click, send to library). RG tags were written. What version are you running? The issue may have already been addressed by an updated version.

Any way to override this to my preferred value of +2.0 dB?

I am not aware of one, but if you're setting all tracks to the same value, you're not actually making a difference for yourself. You would see no difference if you had them all at 0.0 dB. Bumping it up would be done for specific, especially quiet tracks.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

mattbaker88

I am not aware of one, but if you're setting all tracks to the same value, you're not actually making a difference for yourself. You would see no difference if you had them all at 0.0 dB. Bumping it up would be done for specific, especially quiet tracks.

Thanks CritterMan. I understand that there is no difference when considering MusicBee in isolation, but relative to other playback devices, it does make a difference.

The reason I set this higher, is to reduce the difference in perceived loudness when playing something through MusicBee vs., for example, Firefox -> YouTube. Windows doesn't allow me to boost the volume for a particular application, only reduce the volume. MusicBee is always the quietest.

The other scenario/reason is that normalised tracks (at 0.0  dB) played in my car stereo vs. radio playback at the same in-car volume level, produce a much quieter perceived loudness for the normalised tracks. The original unnormalised tracks sound much closer to the radio volume. This is also true for all of the other playback devices I've tried.

By setting it to an offset of 2.0 dB it brings it closer to the other standard volumes.

Hoofer

Thanks for the replies.  I am using the latest version of MB Portable (3.0.6132).  I don't use the inbox.  I just use windows explorer to drag & drop new music folders MB to the monitored Folder.  When I start MB it finds the new music in the monitored folder and adds it to the library.  I just can't get MB to automatically analyze volume and insert the replay gain values into the tag (nor can I get MB to automatically search for and insert lyrics into the tag).  Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Steven

• Administrator
looking at the code, it does appear to be the case that when files are directly added to the library via the folder monitor that the replay gain setting is not respected. I will address that for v3.1
no, it should be
Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:21:37 PM by Steven

Hoofer

Thank you for the reply Steven.  I think you last post suggests that the analyse volume switch should be in fact honored when adding files to the library directly from monitored folder?  I have reinstalled MB portable and set the switch in the Tags(2) options checked "calculate and write missing replaygain tags for new music files" and MB again adds the files to the library but does not analyse volume for the tracks or add the replay gain values to the tags?  Can you suggest something else to try?  Thanks so much.

Hoofer

Upon further testing this weekend it appears that no settings under the auto-tagging options (Tags (2)) are honored when adding files to the library directly from monitored folder?  Please help.  Thanks.

Hoofer

I have also tried sending new music to the inbox via monitored folder and still the autotag checkbox for writing replaygain vales does not work?  I can manually get it to work via tools menu but it will not work from the monitored folder... frustrating... please help if you can.  Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator

mattbaker88

I was doing some more testing and noticed it doesn't use the previously saved slider offset in the volume analysis panel which means the majority of the library is at the +2.0dB (as I wanted from manually running it) and new files are 0.0dB. Any chance you could update this so that it uses this?
http://i.imgur.com/a2Mr0c2.png