Author Topic: Syncing to Device - Folder Path Query  (Read 4219 times)

a2a

My music is located as per follows:

- D:\Music\Albums\Soundstracks\<Album Name>\<Album>
- D:\Music\Albums\Artists\<Artist Name>\<Album>

I prefer to Sync using the following Musicbee media storage path: preserve folders and filenames

On a device I'm sync'ing to, I'm syncing to a memory card inside a folder called "Music".

Is there a way to sync using 'preserving folders and filenames' but to remove the "Albums" folder that is being created on the device to help keep the device tidy - rather than have just one folder inside a music folder before getting to the crux on the content?

For example, this path on my laptop: D:\Music\Albums\Soundtracks\Minions Movie Songs

I want to sync as follows to my device: D:\Music\Soundtracks\Minions Movie Songs

Essentially removing the '\Albums\' part of the directory in how the device syncs?

Thank you :)

redwing

Tick "use naming templates" and try entering the following template to "music files" box:

Code
$Split(<Path>,\,4)\$Split(<Path>,\,5)\$Split(<Path>,\,6)\<filename>

a2a

That looks great - thanks so much for quickly helping!

I've put the code in and checked out the preview, it looks like it will do the trick - haven't yet synced.

How does that code work?

Thanks again :)

redwing

$Split function splits a string by a delimiter and returns n-th substring.

So for a string of your path "D:\Music\Albums\Soundstracks\<Album Name>\<Album>"

$Split(<Path>,\,1) returns D:
$Split(<Path>,\,2) returns Music
$Split(<Path>,\,3) returns Albums
$Split(<Path>,\,4) returns Soundstracks

and so forth. Finally it needs a filename at the end.

It's tricky to handle backspace character with functions when it comes to file organizer, but your path structure was a bit simple.
Let me know if it actually worked for you.

a2a

Redwig, apologies for the delay in responding :s

Just wanted to get back to say - thank you very much for offering your help - I do appreciate it! :)

In terms of reporting back, it works to an extent, but I had a few random issues - probably due to the way some things are in my collection. I think to 'err on the side of caution' it's best I just stick with "preserving file names" :$

Your help and expertise is gratefully received nonetheless, thanks again :)

redwing

No problem. Sorry to hear it didn't work out as you wanted.