Author Topic: Is auto-organize capable of copying media files from a hard drive to another?  (Read 2847 times)

LamaPatate

Hello,

Currently, I just tried for the first time to add new music files to my main MusicBee collection, I do have checked "auto-organize media files" option, there's no filter configured at all, after adding a few music present on the same hard drive as MusicBee in the inbox then in the library, no problem at all, it worked correctly, they have been moved from their previous location to MusicBee folders architecture.
But when I tried to do so with music files from another hard drive the exact same way, they are playable and all, but it just doesn't bother moving them while it should, is it normal?
Another precision, those files I mentioned are part of my secondary library in my external disk, I didn't selected "auto-organize media files" option nor any filter at all for that precise second library, maybe that could be the problem? Removed the whole second library, the issue is still a thing.

And by the way, is there anyway create a "Add automatically files" folder like on iTunes in Musicbee (a folder where the program checks for new files to be added and when it detects them, it adds them to the folders architecture of the library)?
Also is there any way to not have the file to be moved but to be copied instead (keeping them in the location they where plus adding them to the library)?

Thanks for your considerations to my request.

EDIT: I also tried to go to the properties of the song to see if I was able to relocate an already added song in the library, but the "location" option is always grayed and even when I move the files to have MusicBee to indicate me the files are missing, I have no option to tell it where I moved them, so I have no other choice than removing the files from my library then moving them through Windows explorer and finally add them back to MusicBee, that's pretty annoying in my opinion, but maybe there's something I didn't get.
Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:52:12 AM by LamaPatate

redwing

Have a look at my reply to another member's similar question;

To auto-organize files from drives different from the drive where your library is located, you need to add an additional drive mapping to the auto-organization setting, otherwise MB will just point to those files without moving them.

But if you want to copy files like iTunes does, you can take the following approach without creating additional mapping.

- Create a new folder in C drive for importing music files and set the folder as one of the monitored folders in library setting.
- Now drag and drop tracks from the external drive not to music library node but to that new folder under MB's computer node in left navigator.
- Then those files will be copied because drag and drop between different drives copies files.
- Now they will be auto-imported either to inbox or library depending on your settings.

LamaPatate

The iTunes like method does work great!
Sorry for not having figured out it by myself, I don't use the program for so long, so I don't know what the ton of options are for and I miss some of them.

Thanks a lot, you're such a big help right here!

redwing

Note that instead of drag and drop you can also use Folder(copy) context menu after selecting files.

EDIT: I also tried to go to the properties of the song to see if I was able to relocate an already added song in the library, but the "location" option is always grayed

When auto-organize option is turned on, the location info for every music file in the library gets grayed out, meaning it's un-editable as MB auto-organizes them following the naming template.