Author Topic: Best way to scratch an existing MB (3.1) and do a clean re-install?  (Read 1623 times)

Pat

I currently have MB installed, with many updates/patches, backup/restore over time. I experience some issues which are not reproducible on other instances. I'd like to scratch the existing MB installation completely so that I can reinstall MB as clean a possible.

I was thinking of the following procedure:

1. Use the backup function, including the library settings file.
2. Note the layout options as best as possible as I believe there is no 'backup' file that will contain this.
3. Use windows control panel to uninstall MB
4. Remove all files in <user>/Appdata/Roaming/Musicbee if the uninstall did not do that
5. Remove all files in c:\Programfiles (x86)/Musicbee if the uninstall did not do that
6. Reinstall MB
7. The current MB library is on a different drive than the MB executable, so that library folder as library in the settings.
8. Delete the default MB library file

Comments? Anything I forgot?
Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:36:40 AM by Pat

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That sounds about right, but your layout settings are actually contained in the MusicBee3Settings.ini.

You might find this page helpful: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pat

That sounds about right, but your layout settings are actually contained in the MusicBee3Settings.ini.

You might find this page helpful: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore

I installed MB 3 update 5 and then MB3.1 so to have the same version before/after.
Replacing MusicBee3Settings.ini in "<user>Appdata/Roaming/MusicBee" worked well.
The layout was preserved. I noticed that also the auto-organize library definition was preserved in that ini file.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think auto-organize is in MusicBeeLibrary.ini.  I'm glad it worked for you!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pat

Thanks for the help!

I took the opportunity to merge my two separate libraries (Modern music / Classical music) into one and instead use the 'Filter' functionality to distinguish between the two.