Author Topic: Remove leading zeros when tracks are displayed beneath album covers  (Read 3556 times)

zigzag10

I have a relatively large collection of music, some of which has a leading zero before track numbers, and some don’t.  I tend to view this collection by album covers and ideally, I don’t want any of the tracks that are displayed beneath these to display a leading zero as part of a track number.  For example, I would like a track numbered ‘05’ to be listed simply as ‘5’.

I’ve established that if I assign the formula $Pad(<Track#>,1) to a virtual field it will display what I’m looking for.  However, I can’t figure out how this virtual field can be used instead of the normal, standard track number (for tracks displayed beneath their respective album covers).   I was hoping this could be possible via the ‘expanded Panel settings’ for the ‘main panel’ but I’ve had no joy with this.

Any help with resolving this would be much appreciated

phred

• Global Moderator
Boroda74's Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools can do this. Even to the point of enabling it to automatically remove the leading zero(s) without user intervention.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

zigzag10

Many thanks for coming back to me phred.  Boroda74's Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools seem impressive, but I just can't see how any of them can assist.  Sorry I'm new to Musicbee and I'm stumbling around in the dark here.  Please, not wanting to put you out, but is there any chance that you could take me through the steps of setting up the automatic routine you mentioned?  Many thanks in advance

phred

• Global Moderator
It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Assuming you have installed the plugin, highlight a couple of tracks that have show leading zero(s) and click Tools > Additional Tagging Tools > Advanced search and replace...

Now that the ASR window is open, start typing "remove" in the upper window. That will filter out all the presents that DO NOT show the word "remove." Scroll down the list until you see "Remove leading zeros..." and you'll see two presents. To be honest, I don't know what the difference is between them - I always use the second one. Click on it (BUT NOT ON THE CHECKBOX) and it becomes selected. At this point you may have to use the drop-down to add "Track#" to <Tag 1>. Now click on "Preview" and the tracks you selected will appear along with a column showing the track number as is, and a column showing the result of the proposed tag change...

At this point click "Apply" and the tags will be changed...

I want to stress that you should test this a few times on a very small number of tracks to make sure it's behaving as you expect. Once you're satisfied, go back to the present and check the box to the left of the one you want to you want to have automatically applied. You could also check the box next to "Ask confirmation before autoapplying..." but you will have to click 'OK' each time the plugin wants to make a change, which can become quite tedious for a large number of times.

I hope this helps. If you have questions about other uses of this plugin, you should post them in the plugin's thread:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.0
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

boroda

'auto-applying' preset means that it will be applied if any track tag is changed (what is probably useless in your case) or if track is added to library (what is probably useful). also if you are satisfied by testing on several tracks, you can just select all tracks and apply preset to them. nothing will changed (or even saved to file) for tracks with correct padding.

zigzag10

It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Assuming you have installed the plugin, highlight a couple of tracks that have show leading zero(s) and click Tools > Additional Tagging Tools > Advanced search and replace...

Now that the ASR window is open, start typing "remove" in the upper window. That will filter out all the presents that DO NOT show the word "remove." Scroll down the list until you see "Remove leading zeros..." and you'll see two presents. To be honest, I don't know what the difference is between them - I always use the second one. Click on it (BUT NOT ON THE CHECKBOX) and it becomes selected. At this point you may have to use the drop-down to add "Track#" to <Tag 1>. Now click on "Preview" and the tracks you selected will appear along with a column showing the track number as is, and a column showing the result of the proposed tag change...

At this point click "Apply" and the tags will be changed...

I want to stress that you should test this a few times on a very small number of tracks to make sure it's behaving as you expect. Once you're satisfied, go back to the present and check the box to the left of the one you want to you want to have automatically applied. You could also check the box next to "Ask confirmation before autoapplying..." but you will have to click 'OK' each time the plugin wants to make a change, which can become quite tedious for a large number of times.

I hope this helps. If you have questions about other uses of this plugin, you should post them in the plugin's thread:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.0

That's the ticket - this is really useful.  Many thanks for your help and time phred

zigzag10

'auto-applying' preset means that it will be applied if any track tag is changed (what is probably useless in your case) or if track is added to library (what is probably useful). also if you are satisfied by testing on several tracks, you can just select all tracks and apply preset to them. nothing will changed (or even saved to file) for tracks with correct padding.

This is good to know, thanks