Author Topic: Change multi-genre separator from colon ( ; ) to forward slash ( / ) ???  (Read 2875 times)

akurtzer10

I saw an older, unsolved thread on this so I'll ask again...

When auto-tagging music by importing multiple genre tags, is it possible to modify the genre separator from a semi-colon to a forward slash? Poweramp on Android only recognizes " / " as the genre tag separator, otherwise each genre string with a " ; " in it (instrumental; jazz; funk; soul) is displayed in Poweramp as a single genre (instrumental:jazz:funk:soul). My workaround is to manually modify each semi-colon to a forward slash as I import genre tags, but it is extremely tedious work. I'm hoping there's a solution to this.

boroda

of course you can search and replace ';' to '/' in genre tag, but mb wont treat such genres as muli-value tags.

redwing

No, search & replace can't be used for that purpose as it can't find ";" from <genre> tag, and <genres> tag and virtual tags are not available for the command.

@akurtzer10;
You can create a virtual tag with the following code
Code
$Replace(<Genres>,;,/)
and then copy the field to <genre> tag using Additional Tagging Tools plugin before exporting those files to Poweramp. And then you will need to revert it for using them with MB.

alec.tron

At a guess, boroda74's Additional Tagging Tools - Advanced Search & Replace should be able to do this.
The standard S&R is unfortunately not handling multi value tags correctly (removing yes, injecting no, as documented here https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20478.msg129416#msg129416 ), but AS&R does so in all cases where I tested it and now use regularly.
But, doing this would then make MusicBee display the '/' separated values as literal strings as afaik you can not alter the way multi-values are formatted/interpreted in MusicBee...
Just me few cents.
c.

akurtzer10

Would you explain this a bit further? I'm not seeing how to add the replace code to Additional Tagging Tools. Ideally when I use "Auto-tag by album" feature and genres are imported, I'd like the forward slash to be used rather than semi-colon. Will this solution solve that issue?

alec.tron

Heya,
nope, it would not be automatic, but, once you have it set up in Additional Tagging Tools - Advanced Search & Replace, you can put any given user-preset on a hotkey to run on selected files.

As for
Would you explain this a bit further? I'm not seeing how to add the replace code to Additional Tagging Tools.

When you have Additional Tagging Tools installed, go to:
Tools - > Advance tagging Tools -> Advanced Search & Replace
This opens a gui which allows you to load/edit/save presets to your liking.
I've added a description here:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20478.msg129416#msg129416
on how to use the ASR settings & set up a search & replace for multi value genre tags. Swapping out ; for / in the whole field, you could use the same approach.
Churs.
c.