Author Topic: Continual freezing that won't allow musicbee to close. Have reinstalled x3  (Read 2204 times)

JeighNeither

I'm a fairly new user, but I've used it long enough to want to continue.  However after running fine for a few weeks, now it's constantly freezing, then never closing; even after a force close.. forcing me to remove it.  I've reinstalled it three times now.  There has to be a fix or a solution.  I also had the creators update, but I reverted because of an issue with a DAW I use, so it can't be that... I've got no clue, but I'd hate to move to another player, but I don't have many choices at this point.  Any suggestions?

Steven

• Administrator
the Creators update also affected one other person - see: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21997.0
i expect it will be something to do with audio drivers that have neen updated (i gather sometimes using windows generic drivers can work better and other times the device driver from the manufacturer can be better ie. you might try both) or the need to whitelist MB in your security software

JeighNeither

I think it might have something to do with my external disc drive... I reinstalled and then did a scan for malware, and it didn't come from the download although thru winzip you get redirected to some junk... perhaps it came from the zip install.  It seems to be fine.. as long as I don't download new music, which I have hundreds of cd's to download, haha.  I'd really like to debug it, if you come up with any solutions.  Thanks

Steven

• Administrator
i am afraid i have no idea what you are saying. If you are trying to update to the latest version, that is available from the first forum topic.
For whitelisting musicbee in your security software, only do that if you have downloaded musicbee from this web site. Whitelisting can help with some security software because that software can do other things in the background that interfere with musicbee

JeighNeither

Clearly... I was trying to walk thru the causation for the complete failure of musicbee, and causing it to lock up my computer; forcing me to restart; remove; reinstall; over and over... So here is the bug in case this situation/bug pops up again.  I assume I'm not the only one using an external drive to burn CD's.  When I would try to burn a CD, it would lock everything up, and nothing except shutting down the computer would reset the process and close musicbee. 

It turns out (and most people are probably using an LG drive since they're the only ones on the market anymore) that I had moved the LG drive to a usb hub.  That alone caused musicbee to lock up and fail.  As soon as I plugged it directly into the machine; it worked fine, and so does musicbee.  So, I guess that's another point of contention when investigating a bug effecting the entire program; ask if they're using a disc drive to rip music, and make sure it's plugged directly into the computer, or it wil cause musicbee to go completely haywire.

Except now I'm getting "encoding failures" smh...

JeighNeither

I just had to change the file type.  Anyhoo, thanks for your help, and you're welcome for the play-by-play!  Haha, I'm sure that's happened to someone else though... you never know; you may end up using that knowledge one day.  All is working properly again, and I'll make sure to hit up your patreon account, or whatever method of donation you use.  Music Bee really is a great player; I can't believe you do this all on your own.  You just hit #1 on a few "best player of 2017" lists that I've seen, you might be getting busier soon.  That's how I found you actually, but I noticed you on a second one today.  Best of luck Steve, thanks -cheers