Author Topic: Soundtrack pictures are not retrieved for many movies  (Read 5494 times)

Steven

• Administrator
Looking at the code I dont see any difference in the behavior whether a picture is matched the first time or after you adjust the title and a picture is then matched. In both cases a single user picture is saved - thats the point of this tool is to download pictures and save them to the user pictures folder and perhaps you saw the tool as doing something different.
For your first point, I expect what happened was you already had a picture in your pictures folder and when the artwork download tool is opened, MB checks for existing pictures and unticks an item if it already has a picture. Only the user pictures folder is checked, not the cache.
The next time you run the downloader and have the same files, the status would say "Image already downloaded". So I dont see any bugs.

redwing

No, it didn't save any pictures to the user's local folder before this time. Look at your own words:

1. After running the Download Tool for my soundtracks, I have more than 4 gigas of space occupied by the images. On the one hand, it’s great to have all the images downloaded in case you are off-line, but for some people, this space taken could be too much. Therefore, some users might appreciate to be given the choice of limiting the Download Tool to those album titles that aren’t recognized are film titles. For the other album titles, those which are correctly identified, MB could just do as it does with artist images: it could download the images one by one and store only one in the cache folder.
i agree and will change it so it downloads one picture only into the cache and makes use of the movie mapping to find more as the song plays

this has the following changes:
- only one image is downloaded to the cache for soundtracks, any other available ones are dynamically downloaded as the track plays using any movie name mapping you might have entered

redwing

For your first point, I expect what happened was you already had a picture in your pictures folder and when the artwork download tool is opened, MB checks for existing pictures and unticks an item if it already has a picture. Only the user pictures folder is checked, not the cache.
The next time you run the downloader and have the same files, the status would say "Image already downloaded". So I dont see any bugs.

No, I have pictures only for a few selected movies in my local folder. And I am constantly checking the folder while testing this feature.
So for albums with a name the same as the movie title, it shows pictures properly without saving any pictures into the user's local folder.

Steven

• Administrator
I cant see MB doing that ever according to the latest code snapshot for each version back to v2.4.
To the best of your knowledge when was the last time you think it was doing that? I wonder if that was misleading wording where i meant it saves one picture per album to the user pictures folder rather than the cache. For compilations it would save one picture per track

redwing

For years, it never saved pictures into my local folder. The last time I saw it working properly was just a few weeks ago before it fails to retrieve pictures.
It only saved a zero-byte file to the local folder for tracks it couldn't match.

Steven

• Administrator
I think i just used poor wording in that quote. As mentioned, the latest MB code for each version since v2.4 has always saved 1 picture per album or 1 picture per track for compilations to the user soundtracks picture folder. For v3.1 i dont recall touching the code for this function.
I dont see why that is wrong and is consistent with the downloader tool for artist/album pictures.

As to the behavior for when you enter a movie title mapping, MB calls exactly the same functionality to save the picture.

As it stands I am not planning to change anything unless you have a reason why its causing a problem to you.

edit:
this is the .ini file setting that contains location MB writes to/ checks for existing pictures:
<SoundtrackPictureLocation>
Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:42:30 PM by Steven

redwing

The reason is simple. Just because it takes up the space unnecessarily, and sometimes with duplicates of the same picture (for compilation albums for a single movie).
If you don't want to change anything, I can live with this while constantly deleting any pictures it saves into my folder. The deletion doesn't affect its functionality at all, except it then complains with "no match found" for already successfully mapped tracks which I can simply ignore.

Steven

• Administrator
Why are you running the download tool for movie pictures in the first place if you are just deleting the downloaded picture?
If you dont run the tool, MB will attempt to download the movie pictures anyway while playing a soundtrack (apart from a period of time recently due to web api changes) and will save the picture to the picture cache for a period of time.

edit:
ok - i get it. You need this to define the movie title mapping. I'll look to change it so the image is not downloaded or perhaps downloaded to the cache
Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:09:24 PM by Steven

redwing

Why are you running the download tool for movie pictures in the first place if you are just deleting the downloaded picture?

To map the track to the right movie so that it would retrieve and show picture of the right movie.
For the cache, I run "Reset artist cache" command from time to time, otherwise the internal cache folder is constantly growing.

redwing

I'll look to change it so the image is not downloaded or perhaps downloaded to the cache

Great! I'd prefer it not downloading at all just as it does for albums with the same name as movie title.

Steven

• Administrator
for the next version, start MB/ exit and then edit the .ini file and change
Code
<DisableMovieArtworkDownload>true</DisableMovieArtworkDownload>