Author Topic: customizeable rules for encoding music for portable devices  (Read 1828 times)

unknwnsoljer

Hello,

A feature that I'd like to see is a little more ability to control how/when music is encoded before transfer to my portable device. There are currently 3 options (convert all files, convert files that are in an unsupported format, convert files that are in a lossless format).

My use case is this: I have a lot of mp3's in 320 kbps, and I would like to down-transcode these before transferring to my device, as 320 kbps takes up too much room on the player, and my headphones probably aren't good enough to make the higher quality matter anyway. But I don't want to transcode all my mp3 files, because transcoding a 128 kbps constant bit rate to the VBR 5 will probably mess up the quality, and it takes time too.

So if I were able to compose some rules that decided when to transcode, that would be great. Users could make up their own rule, based on format, bitrate (greater than or less than X), etc., and compose these rules. E.g. if it's an mp3 file greater than 160 kbps, or it's not mp3 format, or it's lossless, then transcode.  Mediamonkey has an example of what I'm talking about (but I much prefer MusicBee...).

Thanks for a great program.
Daniel

Steven

• Administrator
there is already a simple implementation of this in the latest beta on the weekly downloads topic