Author Topic: [minor] Editing 'Genre' in main panel auto-completes to multi-value strings  (Read 1258 times)

alec.tron

Heya,
just came across this and just wanted to log this.
IF you use the 'enable direct editing of tags in main panel' setting, all fields I have tried this on (mostly custom fields...) do correctly autocomplete to single values already present in other fields for this, i.e. for a custom INSTURMENTS field I am  populating typing:
P = results in autocomplete suggestion to 'Piano' (for example)

If I do the same in the genre column, I get different behaviour that's probably no intended/wanted,
i.e. when I type:
R = results in autocomplete suggestion of ALL multi value strings starting with R... so I get these as auto-complete suggestions:
Ragga; Hip Hop; Dancehall
Ragga; Dancehall
Reggae
Reggae; Bashment
etc pp (and 100s of more suggestions based on existing recombinations of multi value genre strings found in the library)

Whereas I would think it should only autocomplete suggest the current matching single value, i.e:
R =
Ragga
Rave
Reggae
etc pp

just as the Tag Editor genre field auto-cpomplete suggestions behaves as well...

Hope this makes sense & is easy to reproduce & fix.
Cheers.
c.
Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:33:14 AM by alec.tron

phred

• Global Moderator
That's because you're using 'Genres' and not 'Genre.'
This is the expected behavior and not a bug.

In Track Details view, if you use 'Genre' you'll see the first genre followed by a '+' indicating there more genres. Hover over and you'll see a pop-up with all the genres for that track.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

alec.tron

Hm, seems to be true, but that imo is confusing....
i.e. the 'Genre' column not allowing me to see the same as the 'Genre' field does. So to achieve the same visual display as the Genre field in Tag Editor, I then need the Genres' field, which then does visually appear to be the same as the 'Genre' field in tag editor.... but which then in turn does not allow me to edit it as such....
Oh well. If that is intended, nevermind me rambings here ;)
c.

alec.tron

Haha, also fun & probably not intended....  if you then scroll down the suggested list of multi values, MB also adds every string to the field as you scroll through the selected list, and writes all into the field, so I just ended up writing this into the genre field after scrolling down the long list a bit and picking one multi-value string:

Reggae; Reggae; Bashment; Reggae; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Dub; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Dub; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Dubhop; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Ragga; DigiDancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; Reggae; Dancehall; UK Steppers; Reggae; Reggae; Reggae; DigiDancehall; Reggae; DigiDancehall; DigiDub; Reggae; DigiDancehall; Reggae; DigiDancehall; Reggae; DigiDancehall; Reggae; DigiDancehall; Reggae; DigiDub; Reggae; Reggae; Reggae; Dub; Chiptune; Reggae; Dub; Chiptune; 8 Bit Dub; Dancehall; Reggae; Dub; Chiptune; 8 Bit Dub; Reggae; Dub; Chiptune; Wonky; 8 Bit Dub; Reggae; Dub; Reggae; Dub; Reggae; Dub; DigiDub; DigiDancehall; Chiptune; Reggae; Dub; DigiDub; DigiDancehall; Chiptune; 8 Bit Dub; Reggae; Dub; Reggae; Dub; Ska; Reggae; Dub; Reggae; Reggae; Fast Chat; Reggae; Fast Chat; UK Steppers; Reggae; Hip Hop; Bashment; Reggae; Reggae; Jazz; Africa; Reggae; Jazz; Reggae; Reggae; Lovers Rock; Reggae; Mento; Reggae; Reggae; Reggae; Reggae; Pop; Reggae; Ragga; Reggae; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Dub; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Funk; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Roots Reggae; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Ska; Dub; Reggae; Rocksteady; Ska; Dub; Reggae; Rocksteady; Ska; Reggae; Rocksteady; Reggae; Rocksteady; Soul; Dub

probably an extreme use case... :D

c.