Author Topic: DAP: How to sync a 200 GB library on my computer on 2 SD's (128GB + 128 GB) ?  (Read 4007 times)

daibaron

Hi Steven, Hi everybody.

Thank you so much for your astonishing development of MB.
I've been an hardcore user of this "piece of art" for years.
Steven your are a brilliant person ! :-*

I need a little help on how to proceed and sync a 200 GB files library on my DAP with 128GB Int + 128GB SD.
Because i can't sync a whole library on a single memory space.
Right now I've created 2 Playlists sized to fulfill each memory cards.

Is there a way to sync the whole library located on my computer and "dynamically" divide it to use available space on internal + SD memory ? so SD1 + SD2 = 1 library on my DAP
Unless I'm wrong MB is unable to tell that a music file is already copied to SD 1 and won't duplicate it on SD 2.

HF listening to the music.
Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:47:40 PM by daibaron

boroda

try Liquesce, it can 'combine' several windows volumes (or even folders) into single volume. it will dynamically allocate space based on order of sub-volumes, folder structure or to balance volume usage. its free.

daibaron

Thanks, i will give this a try, but i doubt combining logical / physical volumes is the answer to my problem.
My DAP (Cowon) has already a system and i don't think this solution works on it.

I just noticed a similar question was asked years ago:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15586.0

It could be great MB is able to dynamically split and sync a library over 2 SD cards without the user needs to do the math to calculate the available space remaining.
Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:51:22 PM by daibaron

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
With DAPs starting to have two or three storage volumes, this is coming up fairly frequently. However, it's not trivial and is as far as I know, unprecedented. I've got a DAP with two volumes and another with three myself.

The real trick would be to use the space on a group of user-defined volumes and then allow for user-defined prefixes to be used for playlists intended for the DAP to use that play tracks from all of the volumes. Then, you need to deal with Windows' tendency to change drive letters used when you mount specific flash drives every once in a while. Yeah, desirable but not trival.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

daibaron

There are things i probably don't understand.
From my simplistic POV:
the prerequisite  is that the size of the library must be smaller than the space needed/available on at least 2 SD cards .

In this case for instance the DAP has :

60 GB of internal memory
128 GB of SD slot 1
32 GB on SD slot 2

My library < than 220 GB and could be sync over the all the physical volumes.
The playlists will use absolute path depending on which drive the file is stored.

For now, i've divided my whole library into 3 playlists.
It's tricky when add new music to my library and that i manually have to copy newly added files to the playlist thats is meant to be synced where space is available
Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:36:56 PM by daibaron

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Well, it's actually not unprecedented, I just haven't found this functionality for Windows yet. For Mac, there's Dapper.

There are two major issues to overcome when trying to do this manually or when developing an application to handle it. First, you need to manage the volumes dynamically. That means moving files from a volume that's filling up to one with more space when the user syncs. Then, you need to dynamically keep track of which volumes all of the files on the playlists are stored on so those stay up to date.

Short of going to OS X, this is still a largely manual process. But, someday, a software developer with Windows chops will buy a DAP with two SD card slots and need will finally meet with means.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)

daibaron

But, someday, a software developer with Windows chops will buy a DAP with two SD card slots and need will finally meet with means.

yes, this is what was thinking too.
Ty for the chat, HF

boroda

Thanks, i will give this a try, but i doubt combining logical / physical volumes is the answer to my problem.
My DAP (Cowon) has already a system and i don't think this solution works on it.
that program is not the raid system, i.e. you can access files even without this program. the only problem i see is with playlists because you (or mb) cant foresee which physical volume will be used for a given file.

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
The playlist issue is probably the most important to solve. You can fairly easily create auto-playlists to split your library and fill up cards, but getting your playlists to point to the right locations would quickly become a nightmare. Perhaps the simplest solution would be a tool that could locate tracks on multiple drives and automatically update the playlists.

daibaron

Ok, thanks for your explanation.
but I'm still wondering how this works with a digital audio player. (Cowon) with 128 GB of internal memory and 128 GB of SD.
As you said, managing a playlist especially with a Cowon maybe the biggest issue by proceeding so.
The system is using MSC mode when the DAP is plugged on the computer.

flyingsquirrel

Hi,

I have a tool which does just this (without the playlists) - you can check it out here for OSX:DapSync website. The app also works on Windows but I haven't made it publicly available. If anyone is interested I will. The light version stops at 1000 tracks and the paid version has not restrictions. If anyone wants to try out the Windows version you can have the full version for free. The tool only works if you have an iTunes library, so not sure how applicable.
Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:13:48 AM by flyingsquirrel