Author Topic: Deleting Duplicates  (Read 23190 times)

phoenix1971

i have quite a large music collection,and i want to slim it down a bit by getting rid of dupicate tracks,ive created a playlist with the duplicates in,want i want to know is ifi delete all the tracks,is it still going to leave at least one of the tracks in the library,or if i delete the duplicate playlist tracks,that would delete everything, sounds more complicated that it is i know, cheers in advance

Ansem

musicbee->tools->manage duplicates

it will delete the one that you choose

phoenix1971

so if i have several thousand mp3 tracks,and a few thousand duplicates,it will delete all the tracks ,and not leave just the one copy ,or is there a way just to get rid of the copies? cheers

boroda

it will allow you to choose which one of duplicates to leave and will delete all other duplicates. but if you have a few thousands duplicates it might be a problem because that tool is not fully automatic.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
With that many tracks, I would use the option to create a playlist of the duplicates, which will allow you to sort by some criteria, or pretty quickly select a whole bunch with tick marks, for easy deletion
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phoenix1971

yeah icve done the playlist duplicate,and just plodding my way through,but its taking so much time, just wondered is there a quick way cheers anyway

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are these literal duplicates or just similar tracks with differences such as bitrate?  If there are differences and it's something you can sort by (or turn into a virtual tag) then you can speed the process up considerably.  Also check out highlighting rules, which can help quickly identify what you want to keep vs discard.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

craig7

Nowadays for duplicate files issue, we use DuplicateFilesDeleter. It's fast, accurate and easily customable depending on your need.

bigbruise

Are these literal duplicates or just similar tracks with differences such as bitrate?  If there are differences and it's something you can sort by (or turn into a virtual tag) then you can speed the process up considerably.  Also check out highlighting rules, which can help quickly identify what you want to keep vs discard.

Hey there, would you be willing to expand on this a bit more?

I may be in a similar situation as OP.

I just move to Musicbee, lots of files.

I generally keep two copies of an album - FLAC and V0 - V0 is used for mobile.

I'd like to delete the lower bitrate duplicate - keep the FLAC.

Is this possible? Through the manage duplicates window I wasn't able to figure it out - I did create a playlist of all dups.

Maybe I could even automate it when adding new folders?

Let me know if you have anything that could be of assistance, thanks.