Author Topic: Unique column browser setting per tab  (Read 32227 times)

redwing

Thanks! That issue was addressed.
Another one. When opening a new tab, it takes the layout from the last stayed tab. Shouldn't a new tab always use default layout?

Steven

• Administrator
Another one. When opening a new tab, it takes the layout from the last stayed tab. Shouldn't a new tab always use default layout?
its intentional. I dont think there is right or wrong way with that so i will see how others react

redwing

I think the issue here is the notion of "default" layout. Current behavior could be useful if users intentionally open a new tab while staying in a tab with a desired layout for the new tab. Then they don't have to select a layout for the tab. But it also means they can't expect a certain "unified" layout for a new tab because it depends on the tab they were at when opening - and that's what "default" layout is about.

redwing

Here's another issue - Search Results tab. I tried global search from custom layout tabs, and each search results tab took the same layout as its original tab. How about making it keep its own layout since "global" search doesn't really have a lot do with original tabs and it could be more useful with its own search-oriented layout?

vzell

I think the issue here is the notion of "default" layout. Current behavior could be useful if users intentionally open a new tab while staying in a tab with a desired layout for the new tab. Then they don't have to select a layout for the tab. But it also means they can't expect a certain "unified" layout for a new tab because it depends on the tab they were at when opening - and that's what "default" layout is about.

I second this

vzell

Here's another issue - Search Results tab. I tried global search from custom layout tabs, and each search results tab took the same layout as its original tab. How about making it keep its own layout since "global" search doesn't really have a lot do with original tabs and it could be more useful with its own search-oriented layout?

+1

Steven

• Administrator
for the next update i have changed the new tab to revert to default settings

redwing

The latest 3.2 version has a bug that returns to the default layout when restarted.
When MB was restarted with a hotkey, it shows the default five tabs and default settings for filtering browser, losing all existing layout settings.
I have experienced this twice and PMed you my settings files before and after (the old one is not exactly the one right before this happened but shows my original layout). No error's logged about this.

Steven

• Administrator
i didnt change anything with the custom tabs for the most recent version and not able to reproduce any issues.
I did notice you changed the skin and also a virtual tag formula. As a guess, maybe the virtual tag formula failed to validate somehow and caused MB to not fully load the settings.
Is this issue something that's repeatable for you?

redwing

No, I can't. But about an hour ago I have experienced it third time. That was right after I edited a sort tag value for a file and save it. Also I think I might have touched sort tag values/settings around the time when the previous two incidents occurred. Do you think that could cause that?

caused MB to not fully load the settings.

Does that mean my original layout settings were still retained in the new settings file?
Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:09:14 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
No, I can't. But about an hour ago I have experienced it third time. That was right after I edited a sort tag value for a file and save it. Also I think I might have touched sort tag values/settings around the time when the previous two incidents occurred. Do you think that could cause that?
it might be when MB has to save the preferences file and the current tab is in some particular state. So it might be as simple as opening the preferences dialog and saving. I will check out that possibility. It completely wiped or corrupted each of your tab settings though so that is a bit of a mystery.

redwing

It was always sorting tab of tag editor, not preferences dialog. It may include opening and updating edit custom sorting values dialog and tick/untick enable custom sorting option in the tab. When restarting MB, it took a bit longer than the usual.
Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:09:32 PM by redwing

redwing

That was it. I just did it again by opening edit custom sorting values dialog from sorting tab of tag editor, edit value, update, save tag editor, and restart MB. PMed you two settings snapshots.

redwing

Did some more tests. It doesn't happen with v3.1.
With v3.2, it doesn't happen if you use default layout for the tab. It only happens when you do that in a tab with a custom layout.