Author Topic: Unique column browser setting per tab  (Read 32220 times)

Steven

• Administrator
i think what i will do is
- save/ restore main panels for the current tab (already done)
- save/ restore all panels as seen for the current screen (as suggested by redwing) ie. change the current behavior of saving all layout settings
- and instead save/ restore all settings (layout + everything else)
this is now done for v3.2
for the 2nd point, only the panel layout and active skin is saved and does not include panel height/ width or content. Height and width because everyone will have different screens resolutions so i dont it will work well generally to import that information. Content (fields/ field widths/ fonts etc) because i think that will be better set by the end-user. I dont want to get into having settings to fine-tune what is exported
Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:55:51 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
if you want to try this out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoyqusdsqprxg1h/MusicBeeTestCustomImage.zip?dl=1

I suggest you take a copy of MusicBee3Settings.ini first in case something doesnt work as expected

- the current tab layout is set from the right click context menu for the tab header
- all settings snapshot and panel layout only is available from the main menu/ View/ Settings...
Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:12:12 PM by Steven

redwing

- Loading custom tab layout no longer works. It doesn't change anything.
- How about adding tab layout menus too under View menu (in addition to the current place)? Right clicking on tab header won't be obvious at all to most users.
- And settings snapshot menus may be better placed just below Edit> Preferences menu as that will inform users of what the feature is about.
Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:29:15 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
- Loading custom tab layout no longer works. It doesn't change anything.
could you reconfirm that please as i tested it yesterday and trying now its working fine. Its possible it wont work with an old saved layout.
If none of that is the case, could you let me know the steps you did

redwing

Sorry. Just tried again with more different layouts, and now I see it's working.

- also in the mix is you can show/ hide elements on a per tab basis, which again is not saved with the layout settings

This was what I missed: show/hide status of sidebars and column/thumbnail browser.

Also it's not saving thumbnail browser's selected field (like composer or album artist) which I think was saved in previous version. Wouldn't it be more consistent to save it too like column browser's displayed fields?

Steven

• Administrator
Also it's not saving thumbnail browser's selected field (like composer or album artist) which I think was saved in previous version. Wouldn't it be more consistent to save it too like column browser's displayed fields?
i am surprised that would have been/ is the case. The filter panel values (filter field such as Album Artist and selected values if any) are saved per tab and not saved with a layout

redwing

Only column browser fields are saved for tab layouts.

Steven

• Administrator
so i am clear, are you referring to exporting the panel layouts for other others or to the per tab layouts (which is what i thought you were referring to)

Steven

• Administrator
ok, i will change it so the thumb browser behaves the same. Its because i implemented thumb browsers a bit inconsistently with other panels in the past

redwing

How about saving show/hide status of sidebars and column/thumbnail browser too for per tab layouts?
Because they too are important part of configuration. For instance, you may want to always show left navigator for some tabs and not for other tabs. The saved column browser column width also only makes sense with show/hide status of both sidebars.
As per tab layouts will be used mostly by the user himself, resolution or DPI won't matter either.

Steven

• Administrator
the per tab saved layout now includes the following "current tab" settings
- show/ hide panel overrides from left sidebar to right sidebar
- hide overrides for the thumbnail browser, column browser and library explorer
- active display field for the thumnail browser

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoyqusdsqprxg1h/MusicBeeTestCustomImage.zip?dl=1

redwing

Thanks, but it doesn't work properly.
I deleted all my existing tab layouts and created three new ones with different settings.
Say I have A, B, C layouts. If I change from A to B or C, often active thumb field doesn't change.
Also when I open a new tab and load layout A, it shows B or C instead. Open another tab and load a different layout and again it's showing another layout.

Steven

• Administrator
Say I have A, B, C layouts. If I change from A to B or C, often active thumb field doesn't change.
Also when I open a new tab and load layout A, it shows B or C instead. Open another tab and load a different layout and again it's showing another layout.
Testing again the first issue works fine for me. Are you absolutely sure when setting it up that A, B and C do have different values? Its very easy to forget that when changing a value, it will be saved with the current active custom layout so its best to first revert to the default layout when making a change for this type of test and then copy to a new custom layout.

I havent really tested your second point but i did notice a bug when opening a new tab that it gets set to the default layout but is using the old tabs' custom layout so i will fix that