Author Topic: Unique column browser setting per tab  (Read 32218 times)

redwing

I noticed thumbnail browser can now keep a different selected field per tab. Can this happen to column browser too?
For instance, a pinned tab for classical music needs composer for column browser, but the next pinned tab for pop music doesn't. But currently you have to keep changing selected fields for column browser whenever you navigate to another tab.
I know lots of requests have been already made asking for a completely independent layout for each tab. Maybe this could improve one by one.

- selected fields in column browser
- layout of column browser (horizontal, side by side, stacked)
- different panel location of filtering browsers (not just on/off)

Steven

• Administrator
I am prepared to spend some time looking into this as it has been asked in different ways by a number of people but as something that is remembered and restored with a custom view ie. a custom view currently remembers the main panel layout, fields displayed/ width and sorting, and the enhancement would also remember column browser, fields/ width/ sorting, thumb browser field/sorting and library explorer field/sorting.
I think doing it on a per tab basis only works for some people and that i shouldnt have done the thumb browser field on a per tab basis but given i have already done that i will leave it in.
Also a custom view can be applied separately to each tab so it should still be used to meet your wish anyway.

redwing

Incorporating those settings into a custom view would be great. Actually that's one of the oldest wishes of mine which is more than 4 years old now:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8157.0

Now for v3.1 with almost boundless capability for panel configurations, one important setting is missing in your list

the enhancement would also remember column browser, fields/ width/ sorting, thumb browser field/sorting and library explorer field/sorting.

that is the whole panel configurations including panel location of individual elements and sub-panels configuration.
For instance, you might want to place thumbnail browser to left main panel for some views and to left sidebar for other views, or want to show lyrics in right main panel or hide it for another view, etc.
Maybe not for this time, but that feature would be ultimately needed to utilize full potential of v3. Then it won't be a custom "view" but a custom "layout". So I'd like you to think about that too at this point.

alec.tron

Then it won't be a custom "view" but a custom "layout". So I'd like you to think about that too at this point.
+1 for custom layouts save-able per tab from me too. (additional wish - Ideally plus being saveable to/load-able from external files, globally as well as locally/on a per tab basis.)

Churs.
c.

redwing

the enhancement would also remember column browser, fields/ width/ sorting, thumb browser field/sorting and library explorer field/sorting.

Hopefully this feature can be included in v3.1

Steven

• Administrator
no, i am near closing off v3.1 with just the windows store support being the main thing left to do

vzell

+1

Burdett

I noticed thumbnail browser can now keep a different selected field per tab. Can this happen to column browser too?
For instance, a pinned tab for classical music needs composer for column browser, but the next pinned tab for pop music doesn't. But currently you have to keep changing selected fields for column browser whenever you navigate to another tab.
I know lots of requests have been already made asking for a completely independent layout for each tab. Maybe this could improve one by one.

+1 for this. Can't wait!
Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:57:53 PM by Burdett