Author Topic: Folders don't copy over from drive  (Read 3259 times)

VERN-O

When I import my music to my musicbee portable flash drive....all my folders get redistrubted around and broken up. Several get placed in a [Empty] artist category....why is that?....cant I keep my folders?

Also what my drive says I have for files isn't the same as my music bee portable says.....missing 308 in music bee (all my files are either MP3 or WMA....why is that?

thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If your files are being moved, you have either auto-organize or "automatically sweep and organizes new files" turned on.  Check in library preferences for both.

If you see files in an [Empty] category, that's because they are missing that particular tag.  If your file name and/or folder structure include the tag, you can use "Infer and update tags from file name" command to fill it in: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Auto-Tagging#Infer_and_Update_Tags_From_Filename

Is it possible the missing files are non-media files (cover art, cue sheets, etc)?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

VERN-O

So I've highlighted and right clicked the first track in the "empty" category.... it shows correct album artist.  My question is why doesn't this just go into an Allman Brothers artist folder???

I appreciate the help!!!!

Steven

• Administrator
because you are showing Artist instead of Album Artist in the left thumbnail browser?

VERN-O

Still not working.....if I search Allman Brothers...nothing comes up, plus there is no folder under Artist or Album Artist for Allman Brothers

Steven

• Administrator
this should really be very easy for you to figure out yourself.
MusicBee organises files according to the naming template you define for the organisation and the tag values musicbee has stored for the files in question. You can check the tags using the Tag Editor. You can also view the raw tag data by clicking the tag inspector button in the tag editor. If no artist and title tags exist, MusicBee will default the title to the filename when displayed in the main panel.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee is correctly identifying the artist in the Infer & Update Tags window.  Hit "Apply Changes" and it should be saved with the new artist.

When you say "folder" you're actually talking about the thumbnail browser items, aren't you?  Because this file IS in an Allman Brothers folder, as shown in the auto-tag window.  For searching, click the icon in the search box and tick "+Filename" to include the file path in the search.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

VERN-O

I apologize if this seems easy, but I don't get it.  And by folder I do mean thumbnail

Highlight the 10 Allman Brothers Tracks...right click...edit....Artist....Allman Brothers...save

Look....Allman Brothers thumbnail...with 10 files appears...awesome!!!!!

Remove flash drive....reinstall flash drive.....Allman Brothers thumbnail gone....same 10 tracks are right where they were...

I did this with several of the others included track title, artist, etc....everything was going well and appearing in the thumbnail section....close out musicbee and open later...everything reverted back to unknown

Steven

• Administrator
Yes there does appear to be a bug when you are using the portable MB version on a removable device and have auto-organise enabled.
I will look into it and fix the issue

VERN-O

Actually I may have it solved....I went and scanned for new files and it appears to have found all of them......now that was easy....lol....thanks for the help and patience

Steven

• Administrator
well i do think there is a bug that i could reproduce the very first time i ran the portable installation in the same configuration as yourself but now i cant reproduce this so i will leave it unsolved

Steven

• Administrator
the bug i found was in v3.0
make sure you are using v3.1 which is available from the first forum topic

VERN-O

I DL'd the http://musicbee.niblseed.com/Weekly/MusicBee_Setup_3_1_6345.zip version....now it doesn't recognize any of my files...it keeps wanting to add files from "My Music" directory on my PC (which is empty).....all my music is on a flash drive along with the music bee 3.1 set up.....when I get to the files on the flash drive they appear empty. What am I doing wrong?  thanks in advance

Steven

• Administrator