Author Topic: Device Sync  (Read 1972 times)

late

So I've been playing with the Device sync tool in MB. Everything works great so far.

A few additions I would like to see are:

A time estimate for the sync. I'm currently processing 1732 files so if possible I would like to see a time estimate, even a coarse one.

For the sync preview I would like to see under 'action' a new prompt 'no action'. I had a few albums corrected to a new folder sorting mode, but some albums had updated tags so I saw that only a part of the album had the 'update' action. I was confused whether MB was actually copying them; later I got that the tracks were already correct in my phone so no action was needed. To avoid the confusion I'd like to see the 'no action' under action to confirm that the file is already correct and a copy isn't needed.

An option to see the percentage copied on a per-track basis. E.g. 50% of X file copied, when at 100% change it to just Copied and move on.

None of these are critical, more 'quality of life' improvements.

Thanks a lot Steven for your continued efforts on Musicbee
Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:34:10 PM by Mr. late

late

Also something I noticed is when a folder name changes (e.g. I used to have a filter for "<Album [Year]>" but now I have "[<Year>] <Album>" as the filter.) The old album/folder "X [2013]" has it's contents deleted and a new album/folder is created "[2013] X". However, the old folder isn't deleted. Functionally the old folder sits there doing nothing and doesn't bother the music player in my phone, it does however make folder searching a bit of a hassle when you have multiples of the same album with different names.

TL;DR When the "delete tracks that are not on the auto-sync list from the device" option is ticked MB should also delete the empty folders that are left after track deletion.

Also in "artwork storage" I use cover.jpg as my default cover art in the folders. This option is given in MB's internal tag editing, but not in the sync menu. You can get around this by ticking "copy to the same folder as the music file" and giving it a file name "cover". A separate option for "copy to cover.jpg" would keep a consistency with the tag editor.

Again, quality of life improvements nothing critical.

late

I noticed my mistake on the cover.jpg part, I didn't realize that the option is the same and you could use a custom name for the jpg's e.g. <Album>.

What I would like to see is better handling for the album art overall.  If I update a whole album the new jpg doesn't seem to get copied over, instead the same album art is kept in the folder. In the sync preview an option to see the album art picture as a part of the copy process would help.

Also there could be better options for updating files, for example my phone can't read the rating in music files (or at least not my music player) so an option to ignore changes to ratings or last.fm love tag would be good, that way I wouldn't need to update a song to my phone every time I change its rating.