Author Topic: Microsoft's "Fluent" design language  (Read 3830 times)

Alumni

Formerly known as Project Neon, the Microsoft Fluent Design System is the latest iteration in the development of Microsoft's look-and-feel for Windows.

Fluent builds on the Metro design language introduced with Windows Phone. Metro was designed for touch devices in particular; with Fluent, Microsoft is aiming at devices ranging from those without any display at all, through phones, tablets, traditional PCs, to virtual and augmented reality systems. Fluent also marks a shift from a design primarily focused on consumption, to one that also incorporates content creation. This generally means that Fluent will have to scale to denser, more feature-rich interfaces than Metro ever did.

As well as broadening the scope of the new design approach, Microsoft is also trying to do a better job of getting designers and developers to understand it. The documentation for Fluent is already arguably more comprehensive than it ever was for Metro. It combines both design guidelines and developer references to show not just what to do but also how to do it.

The Fall Creators Update later this year will bring the first iteration, but Microsoft hopes Fluent will evolve over many iterations. Some of the concepts the company has planned are already in use in its own applications; in the future, Microsoft will add controls so that developers can implement the same concepts in a consistent way, without having to build them from scratch.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/taking-a-closer-look-at-microsofts-fluent-design-system/

boroda

yeah, i already thought to ask Steven if he is planning to convert mb to uwp.

Steven

• Administrator
I very much doubt it would be feasible to convert MB to a UWP application.
I could imagine one day I might be interested to create a new UWP based player that was a smaller/simpler version of MB or alternatively implement it for the Compact Player but no near term plans for any such thing.