Author Topic: Question About Ripping to FLAC, Using MusicBee Ripper  (Read 4056 times)

ArthurDaniels

When using the MusicBee CD Rip function, there are two compression choices "Standard and Maximum".  My question is: what is the Standard Compression option?  I want to Rip to FLAC files, using lowest possible compression.  Is there a setting for a lower compression FLAC rip option?

Thanks,

Art

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
You can't hurt the audio no matter what setting you use, that's how lossless compression works. There is no reason to use less than the maximum compression level when ripping a CD. The maximum compression just means that more tries are made to make the compressed file as small as possible. No matter how compressed the stored data is, it will always be lossless and sound exactly like it does before compression. It's also always the same amount of processing power to decode no matter which setting you use and there are never compatibility issues. I personally believe the option should be removed from ripping software because it only serves to confuse people.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

ArthurDaniels

Thanks for your detailed reply.  I have researched this topic myself and I understand that compression levels do not affect the integrity of the data.  But, being curious and seeking the most accurate music reproduction, I wanted to explore this topic.