Author Topic: How to View PUBLISHER in Header Menu?  (Read 4339 times)

ArthurDaniels

How can I add the PUBLISHER field to the Header Menu so that I can view my files sorted by PUBLISHER?

Thanks,

Art

phred

• Global Moderator
Right-click on an existing header field > Set Displayed Fields > Drag 'publisher' from the left column to the right column and position where you want.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ArthurDaniels

Right-click on an existing header field > Set Displayed Fields > Drag 'publisher' from the left column to the right column and position where you want.

Thanks for your reply, but that action is not what I want to do.  I want to be able to sort all files with PUBLISHER as a option in the same way that ARTIST, ALBUM, etc. are already shown as sort options in the far left "Header Menu" column.  I don't have room to add Publisher to my right column data fields.  PUBLISHER is not currently listed as a sort option in the far left column.  Is there a way to add Publisher to the far left column?

Thanks.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't know what "header menu" is.  Can you post a screenshot?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ArthurDaniels

I don't know how to post a screenshot of the Header Menu.  The Header Menu is on the far left side of the screen.  It contains display options such as Artist, Album, Album Artist, Composer, etc.  It does not offer Publisher as a display option.  And, I have been unsuccessful in creating a Custom option to display Publisher.

I want to see Publisher as a display option in this far left side menu.

Thanks,

Art

alec.tron

My guess is ArthurDaniels means (tip for ArthurDaniels  as I had the same trouble [i.e. find the correct/official name of an UI element/panel] - see 'Configure Panels' to figure out the 'official' name of a panel/UI element)  the 'Thumbnail Browser' panel which seems to be a bit random in what tags it can show, and which it doesn't...

More 'Thumbnail Browser' panel requests: 
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21746.msg127517#msg127517
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21629.msg126937#msg126937

Churs.
c.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If it is the thumbnail browser, just add or switch to the column browser, which supports pretty much all tags
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

alec.tron

From my end - column browser seems to only display Genre / Artist /  Album / Year in a hard-coded manner.
Also, as it always seems to want to display all 4 hardcoded (?) tags at the same time, I'm not a fan of the amount of space the UI element takes up (vertically & horizontal setting) or how crammed it is (in vertical + stacked mode) it is and I can not see a way to limit it to a single facet - which is what I like about the Thumbnail Browser [with the 'no thumbnail option'!] and just switch between the facets I am interested in at a time.

Since this sounds to be possible - how is this switch-able to use 'pretty much all tags' ? i.e. only 1 or a re-combination of, eg PUBLISHER, or Keyword, or Mood instead of its' standard ' Genre / Artist /  Album / Year ' view ?

Cheers.
c.

ArthurDaniels

OK - jargon issue....

I am referring to the "Left Main Panel".  The Left Main Panel has display options such as Artist, Album Artist, Album, Genre, Genre Category, etc, etc...  These display options are apparently default options - at least, I did not create them.

Publisher is not offered as a display option.

But, Publisher is a field in the data base which contains the specific CD number, for example "London 413 352 2".  I want to be able to display and sort my files by Publisher, just like I can already do with Album, Album Artist, Artist, etc. etc.

I know I can add Publisher to the Main Center Panel, but I do not want to do so - I want to display Publisher in the Left Main Panel.

I hope and trust that this explanation clarifies my question.

Thanks,

Art

alec.tron

The "Left Main Panel" can be whatever you configured it to be.

But, by your description I would still guess you're looking at the so called "Thumbnail Browser" panel; in which case the answer is - it's not possible as is to show the default publisher tag (afaik) in there.

And that's the same issues with default tags in MB (in my case I was missing support for Keywords, Mood & Occasion) that I linked above which I created a 'wishlist' thread for as these can not be shown/accessed/filtered through the "Thumbnail Browser" panel as is neither despite them being 'standard' tags in MusicBee (and there's no issues with custom fields, so not sure why these standards are excluded here).

Churs.
c.

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't know how to post a screenshot of the Header Menu.
As psychoadept suggested - a screenshot is worth a thousand words. It would be very helpful if you posted a screenshot of your full layout and of your panel configuration window.
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Posting_Screenshots
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
From my end - column browser seems to only display Genre / Artist /  Album / Year in a hard-coded manner.
Also, as it always seems to want to display all 4 hardcoded (?) tags at the same time, I'm not a fan of the amount of space the UI element takes up (vertically & horizontal setting) or how crammed it is (in vertical + stacked mode) it is and I can not see a way to limit it to a single facet - which is what I like about the Thumbnail Browser [with the 'no thumbnail option'!] and just switch between the facets I am interested in at a time.

Since this sounds to be possible - how is this switch-able to use 'pretty much all tags' ? i.e. only 1 or a re-combination of, eg PUBLISHER, or Keyword, or Mood instead of its' standard ' Genre / Artist /  Album / Year ' view ?

Column browser can display from 1 to 6 columns.  All you need to do is right click in one of the column headers and you can find a "set displayed columns" menu just like the main panel.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Library_Navigation_Elements#Column_Browser
Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:34:30 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I am referring to the "Left Main Panel".  The Left Main Panel has display options such as Artist, Album Artist, Album, Genre, Genre Category, etc, etc...  These display options are apparently default options - at least, I did not create them.

Yes, that's the thumbnail browser.  It is targeted at artist and album type fields, which have images to show. You can add custom images for genre and genre category.  One could argue that it would make sense to have Publisher thumbnails, too, but I guess so few people use publisher that way that it hasn't come up.  You could make a wishlist request for it.

In the meantime, though, definitely switch to column browser: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Library_Navigation_Elements#Column_Browser
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ArthurDaniels

OK.  I am just beginning to understand.  I see that I am using the Thumbnail Browser as my Left Side Panel.  I have no idea how to replace the Thumbnail Browser with the Column Browser.  If there is a step by step process available, would it be asking too much for someone to point out where I can find the explanations and instructions.

Thanks.

alec.tron

Sure, not a step-by-step guide, but there's a twiki page about how to change/customize panels/layouts.
See 'Panels Configuration' here:
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee#Configure_Layout_Menu

c.