Author Topic: Keywords, Mood & Occasion should be available in 'Thumbnail Browser'  (Read 3980 times)

alec.tron

[This original request is fixed now as per Steven]
Heya,
turns out Mood & Occasion do auto-complete, but only for the first value entered.
Keywords does neither, not for first nor multi ( ; separated) values.
Would be great to have those in line with all the other fields' behaviour I thought.
Cheers.
c.
[This original request is fixed now as per Steven]

Adjusting thread title for the 2nd part :D
c.
Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:29:16 AM by alec.tron

alec.tron

Also, would be great to have all 3 of them exposed in the 'Thumbnail Browser' as well!
I can set 'Thumbnail Browser' to show navigation through all my custom tags, so seems odd that MusicBee's built in fields such as these are not.
Or am I missing/overlooking  something here ?
Cheers.
c.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1 on main request

Re: thumbnail browser, +1 but bear in mind Steven would have to build in support for custom icons, too.  Otherwise what's the point of having it in the thumbnail breeder vs column browser.  Not high priority for me
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
the multi-value handling for mood and occasion was an oversight and is done for the next update

alec.tron

Awesome thanks Steven!

Re.
Hey psychoadept
Sorry - I might have my terminology wrong... or rather a mixture of things is going on here... :D

To clarify - I mean the left side default panel, that lets you switch/show all values from a given field in a sorted list (artist, album, genre, etc) - I use this with the 'Don't show thumbnails' option... so Thumbnail Browser is a bit of a miss-nomer for me and I needed to double check the 'Arrange Panels...' menu to check what that panel is officially called.
So I (personally) do not care much about thumbnails or not in this case.
Even with Thumbnails being shown though, if you switch the 'Thumbnail Browser' element to see all 'genres' values, this auto-grabs the artwork from the first release in each group and displays that in a circle as an inpromptu image as the icon for the given genre... so there would not really need to be custom icons for people who do use the thumbnail browser with actual thumbnails (i.e. the majority I assume, but not me as I prefer having a shorter scroll list as my genre list is too long already...) as the same approach could work, no ?

It would however be nice if one were able to create & link custom icons for moods/keywords display if they were available through the 'Thumbnail Browser', though highly subjective (imo) so these should/could be user created & shared just like skins...
c.
Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:58:57 AM by alec.tron

alec.tron

Seeing the original request is sorted.... I guess I'll move the 'Keywords, Mood & Occasion in Thumbnail browser' to its' own thread...
Or actually, I just rename the header to the part that's still valid... hope that's sweet.
c.

alec.tron

alec.tron

Relaying this from the other thread, which is now solved for the OP.

Yes, that's the thumbnail browser.  It is targeted at artist and album type fields, which have images to show.

I beg to differ! :D
For one, there's a setting at the bottom of the 'Thumbnail Browser' to 'Don't Display Thumbnails'.
Secondly, many of the exposed default tag field do not come with or warrant using custom thumbnails - Genre, Original Year, Year, Folder Name, Grouping, etc, just to name a few.
And thirdly, this for me (subjectively preferably with the 'Don't Display Thumbnails' option to allow for more metadata to be shown) is one of my central UI elements & filter units which I prefer over all others I have tried out as it does give quick access to most tag types I care about and tend to switch to/fro and does not take up a lot of UI space.

Column browser can display from 1 to 6 columns.  All you need to do is right click in one of the column headers and you can find a "set displayed columns" menu just like the main panel.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Library_Navigation_Elements#Column_Browser

I will test around with the columns browser though now that you pointed out how to customize it (thanks for that muchly!), restricted to a single cell/attribute/filter and see if that does the same (i.e. have a small but quick to switch/navigate central attribute filter window), but also allows me to use the default tags that are inaccessible through ThumbnailBrowser.

Aaand that's a big no right away for me after testing.
Switching a single cell/attribute in ColumnnsBrowser from let's say a Genre list to list of all Key values (or Artist, or Instrumental, or Mood, or Occasoin [the later 2 being accessible there indeed just as psycho said]) via SetDisplayedFields requires 5 clicks  and navigating 3 menus.
Since I switch these filter facets very often this is not a route I can/want to go & not having access to Keywords, Mood, Occasion & Publisher is the much smaller of 2 evils for me.
Thanks for the idea though!
c.
Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:04:01 AM by alec.tron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For one, there's a setting at the bottom of the 'Thumbnail Browser' to 'Don't Display Thumbnails'.
Secondly, many of the exposed default tag field do not come with or warrant using custom thumbnails - Genre, Original Year, Year, Folder Name, Grouping, etc, just to name a few.

This is true, now.  The original thumbnail browser was quite different from the column browser.  I agree that at this point it makes sense to lift restrictions on what tags can be used with the thumbnail browser.  In fact, if it were possible to add custom thumbnails for any tag, the way you can for Genre, some folks might like to have Mood icons, or Publisher logos, or whatever.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

vzell

In fact, if it were possible to add custom thumbnails for any tag, the way you can for Genre, some folks might like to have Mood icons, or Publisher logos, or whatever.

+1 for all of these

alec.tron

This is true, now.  The original thumbnail browser was quite different from the column browser.

Aye, that was long before I discovered MB & unknownst to me ;)

In fact, if it were possible to add custom thumbnails for any tag, the way you can for Genre, some folks might like to have Mood icons, or Publisher logos, or whatever.

That would be rather neat indeed....
Fingers crossed Steven sees value in this as well & it's not too difficult to implement.

c.

alec.tron

I'm seriously curious about this as this feels like an odd shortcoming & I would have thought that this would be fairly trivial to add the standard tags such as Keywords, Mood, Occasion, Publisher etc to be available in the Thumbnail Browser as well, but might be I'm missing something here.

So I was wondering - is this a no-change case (for whatever reason) ? So should I just go ahead and create virtual tags to remap all non-supported MB standard tag fields to custom/virtual fields in order to be able to access them in the Thumbnail Browser ?

Cheerio.
c.

Steven

• Administrator
i will add these. The thumbnail browser originally only showed artist pictures but it has since been enhanced to enable album covers or even no thumbnail image so having other filters makes more sense now

alec.tron

Awesome, thanks man.
No rush though, I was mostly wondering about your thoughts on this & if there's plans to do this at some point.
Churs.
c.