Author Topic: Edit the 'Mixed' fields.  (Read 6014 times)

Sofocl

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
+1
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

alec.tron

Heya,
I've recently thought about this again, and I'd also really wish for tools more flexible when it comes to 'Mixed Tag' handling.
As in, not only that you can choose 1 out of the mixed tags easily as the 'Tag Tuner' example shows (thanks for positing this btw!), but maybe something with which one could also quickly inject, delete and maybe even re-order tags more easily.
And since a picture speaks more than multiple words strung together, and since this thread was a push in the right direction imo already, I did a little mock-up of what would be my ideal 'Mixed Tag Editor' in MusicBee:

So apart from adding & deleting quickly, what I would really wish for is a functionality to also easily add & re-order tags on multiple files with mixed tags as well.
For example in the mock up above, I would love to be able to swap the places of 'Blue Beat' & 'Ska' easily for all files (while keeping the additional unique tags appearing 'later' on some files intact) as well as drag, eg, Mento which is only used on 1 file as is, to the 'Shared' section in let's say 3rd place, to add Mento as a genre value to all files as the 3rd tag value for 'genre' and inject it before the 'unique' tags on each file.

Churs.
c.
Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:31:59 PM by alec.tron

alec.tron

Hm, bummer, looks like I'm in the vast minority group with shared/mixed genre fragmentation to that degree ?

Setting these is/was quite work intensive, but maintaining / altering these afterwards proves to be even moreso as I have not yet found tools that can deal with mixed tags as the above in a halfway fast/intuitive way & if I need to edit all of the above files I have to do it on a 1-by-1 basis as soon as there's a single unique tag I want to keep...
All attempts I did ended up with something unusable, i.e. even via Search & Replace regex the ; was injected improperly, i.e. it was not injected as a separate field in flac files, but I then had 1 single genre value that spelled "Ska; BlueBeat" instead of "Ska"   "Blue Beat" in seperate genre fields as per the flac metadata file specification) [could as well be user error as regex is not intuitive to me... but that was as close as I got...].
If anyone has come across ANY tools that can deal with shared/mixed genre values as the above, please let me know!

Cheers.
c.
Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:58:13 AM by alec.tron

ToitoineFou

+1 for the idea, I really like the tab concept you've made! Something similar to edit Performers would be very useful.

alec.tron

Thanks!
Yea, ideally this approach should work with every multi-value enabled field in MusicBee not just Genre (alas, in general there could be quite a few difficulties implementing this... especially with re-ordering, or what if the files do have the same tags, but in different order on each file.... or, what if you had a mixture of mp3 & flac files... many a question - but only Steven would be able to answer if this is worthwhile & do-able, and if this is something he would consider adding).
Also, it might not work GUI/context wise as a global tab as it is in the mockup, but might need to be treated more like the Splitter-Panel (which opens when you click the "..." on a mixed tag field) so it can take any multi-value-fields' content and offer us users a better tool to manage our ever more complex metadata.
Churs.
c.
Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:43:38 PM by alec.tron

Sofocl

Bump
It would be nice!
Sorry for my bad English.