Author Topic: [6322] $Sort function display issue  (Read 1946 times)

theta_wave

I have to use virtual tags to deal with multiple artists.  I don't like how the default displays "<Artist1>, <Artist2>, <Artist3>", so I created a virtualtag to display them as "<Artist1>, <Artist2> & <Artist3>".  To follow "ignore words", I enclosed the virtualtag with $sort, but I found out that a simple $sort(<artist>) will produce the following:

Ignore Words field: The, &, ..., "..., ", ', [, ], #, (, ), >, <, …, :

<Artist> = [ma-o]

Observed display (sorted by "m"): $Sort(<Artist>) = ma-o], [

Expected display (sorted by "m"): $Sort(<Artist>) = [ma-o]
Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:22:29 PM by theta_wave

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Why don't you just set a display artist instead of using a virtual tag?

In any case, the sort function is behaving as expected.  "[" is in your ignore words list, so it sends it to the end of the field.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

theta_wave

Why don't you just set a display artist instead of using a virtual tag?

In any case, the sort function is behaving as expected.  "[" is in your ignore words list, so it sends it to the end of the field.
Setting display tags for 200k files doesn't sound like my idea of fun nor does hunting down individual files that I'd like to set that display field either when everything worked fine before [6322].  Really, it looks rather incongruous that "ignore words" causes $sort() to do that when a user would rather to have MB ignore those prefixes rather than move them somewhere else as the field "ignore words" suggests.

What about bands like:

{Sunset} > Sunset}, {
...foo.. > foo..., ....
?foo? > foo?, ?

boroda

psychoadept means that 'the beatles' must be sorted as 'beatles, the', not as just 'beatles'. at least mb is designed this way. as he have said you better try to use displayed artist. asr (command of 'additional tagging tools' plugin) can help to automate generation of displayed artist. and you always can change displayed artist manually.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Honestly, I would support a wishlist request to have ignore words just drop the ignored characters instead of sending them to the end, because it would simplify some of my virtual tags.  But that wouldn't necessarily solve your problem, because you'd still get results like "ma-o]".

ASR, as boroda74 says, should be able to copy your virtual tag into display artists for you.  Then you just need to fine tune a little.
Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:29:52 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
the $Sort function has always appended the ignore chars/words to the end.
You can sort files without the sorting field displayed and use a different function for the display transformation - i dont see how $Sort would ever have worked as you wanted
Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:20:46 PM by Steven

theta_wave

the $Sort function has always appended the ignore chars/words to the end.
You can sort files without the sorting field displayed and use a different function for the display transformation - i dont see how $Sort would ever have worked as you wanted
I believe it was due to the only time I did employ $sort(), and that was to <album>.  The result of $sort(<album>) for the album "The Best of 415 Records" is "The Best of 415 Records" displayed but sorted under "B" in the Album column.  I never used $sort(<artist>) until my compilation albums with  <Albumartist> as "Various Artists" disappeared from my custom views for genre autoplaylists.

EDIT: It seems that clearing out artistsort, composersort and albumsort under MB sorting menus/windows resolved a related issue that now allows me to avoid using $sort() on virtualtags modifying how <artist> and <albumartist> are displayed: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21707.msg127359#msg127359

Weird...
Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:41:05 PM by theta_wave

Steven

• Administrator
just for the record and probably not related to this issue.
I forgot to include the new artist sort mapping lookup when displaying the following: <SortArtist>, <SortAlbumArtist> etc
thats fixed for the next update