Author Topic: Exported iTunes-formatted XML gives "unknown error (-50)" message in iTunes  (Read 1638 times)

hexish

I have never been able to get this function to work right, which is frustrating. I would of course prefer not to use iTunes at all, but I need it to sync music to my iPod touch.

I have something resembling a workaround - I import the MB music library folder with auto organize off, import playlists manually, and try not to scream when tags are messed up or playlists are missing files seemingly at random  😢 However, I've started doing my writing on my iPod using the Scrivener app. My writing playlists are inevitably the very long ones - I would like to not have to compare a playlist that has 800 tracks in MB and 760 in iTunes to find which tracks are missing, especially since I end up having to do this every time I add tracks to the original or want to sync something new.

I would be very, very grateful if someone would help me get the XML feature working. Heck, I'll mention you in my eventual book acknowledgementst! 😆

kamiji

This is also happening to me. I wanted to import the library into Itunes, so that I can sync it with my ipod but I got "UNKNOWN ERROR (-50)". Does anyone have more info about this issue?

Thanks!

SpirosG

Same problem here, also when i try to import the xml to Ī¤raktor as an Itunes Library i get the message "unknown exception during ITunes import", finally Serato imports the xml file correctly.
Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:08:15 PM by SpirosG

hexish

I did some investigating, and the problem isn't exclusive to MusicBee.

One possible cause is that filenames and/or metadata are too long, or contain invalid characters. Try running the file through an XML validator. Here's some instructions for doing so in Windows with Notepad++. For Mac, the posts I came across mentioned using textmate or textwrangler, which I'm unfamiliar with. This site offers a way to validate online by pasting or uploading, but I have no clue if it can handle something the size of a music library file.

Hopefully that does the trick. It's not the only cause of error -50, but it seems like the most likely one. Good luck with your troubleshooting, and let us know if it works!
Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:15:41 PM by hexish

TGFB3

I have the same issue: it seems a particular line within the MB XML file is responsible as if I remove it from each key itunes imports them.
<key>FilePersistentId</key><string>EOL</string>.
I do not know what that is but I think that is what Itunes chokes on.

Steven

• Administrator
I have the same issue: it seems a particular line within the MB XML file is responsible as if I remove it from each key itunes imports them.
<key>FilePersistentId</key><string>EOL</string>.
I do not know what that is but I think that is what Itunes chokes on.
what version of MusicBee are you using? That should be filtered out of the file