Author Topic: Sort Album Artist not working?  (Read 3846 times)

josephzitt

I just upgraded from 3.0.6273 to 3.0.6276 and the Sort Album Artist functionality seems not to be working. While, surprised by the missing "Sorting" tab in the "Edit" dialog, I finally found it as ALBUM ARTIST SORT-ORDER in the Tag Inspector (which, IMHO, is harder to use), when I sort my listing by Album Artist, this seems to be ignored.

Have I missed something? Is it possible to set it to work as expected again? I've gotten about halfway through setting the Album Artist Sort Order for my over 10,000 tracks, and, when done, hope to use this in organizing the actual files, but it appears to have gotten considerably more difficult.

hiccup

You might want to try 3.1
There has a lot of development been going on in this area.

josephzitt

Thanks. I also see, from looking at my old downloads, that I *had* been on the 3.1 before, hence the confusion. The Downloads page only shows the 3.0 version, and the revision numbers are similar, so I had mistakenly gone back to 3.0 in mis-upgrading.

josephzitt

OK, this is much, much worse than I had thought. Perhaps as a result of being confused into downgrading when I should have upgraded, then upgrading back, ALL of the Sort Album Artist information that I had spent literally over a hundred hours over the past month entering for a couple of thousand albums is completely gone.

Can this be helped, or have I just wasted an immense amount of time?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
Check one of the files you know you entered sort tag info for with the tag inspector.
If the info still shows in the tags, than you just need to do a complete file rescan.
If not, unless you have a recent back-up of your data base, you
just wasted an immense amount of time
  :(
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

josephzitt

Check one of the files you know you entered sort tag info for with the tag inspector.
If the info still shows in the tags, than you just need to do a complete file rescan.
If not, unless you have a recent back-up of your data base, you
just wasted an immense amount of time
  :(

OK, the Tag Inspector shows that the Sort Artist is still set, though the "sort as:" under "artist:" in the Sorting tab of the editor makes it look like it had reverted. I'll do a complete file rescan, as you suggest. Thanks.

But if the Sorting tab is showing erroneous information, it's an issue.

BTW, is there a straightforward way to back up the database (assuming that you mean something other than the music files themselves)? If it's either accessible via the interface or in a well-defined file, I haven't found them. Since I'm kind of compulsive about backing up the media themselves (I sync the library several times a week to two different places), I should add that to my routine.

josephzitt

Ok, so I did what I would think would do a full library rescan: Tools > Advanced > Rescan All Files.

It showed a dialog asking: "CONFIRMATION: Rescan all files in the music library?"

I clicked "Yes". Almost instantly, the progress line above the player controls blinked then said "File rescan has completed."

I tried this a few times. The behavior was identical.

I'm guessing that it can't be scanning 800 GB of music in under a second. What's happening?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
BTW, is there a straightforward way to back up the database (assuming that you mean something other than the music files themselves)?

The "backup library" command does this.  See backup & restore on the wiki for more details.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

josephzitt

I'm guessing that it can't be scanning 800 GB of music in under a second. What's happening?

Ah, I see from here that this is a known problem and should work again in the next version, which I eagerly await.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21225.msg125136#msg125136

phred

• Global Moderator
and should work again in the next version, which I eagerly await.
The patched version with the fix is available now. See my sig.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

josephzitt

It's still not working consistently as expected.

After successfully doing a complete rescan, most, but not all, things are sorting correctly. However, for example, when showing the library sorted by Album Artist, an album by Arto Lindsay, which I set to sort as "Lindsay, Arto" and has the SORT ARTIST and SORT ALBUM ARTIST set to that, still sorts after "Edward Artemyev" (which sorts correctly as "Artemyev, Edward") rather than under "L".

How can we get this to work?

Hmm. I used the proper interface to paste an image URL there, but that, too, doesn't appear to be working as expected. The image is at http://imgur.com/DuvaVmc