Author Topic: option to either select, play, or open the expanded panel in Album Cover view  (Read 19055 times)

redwing

Personally I'm not a big fan of this latest iTunes style. Especially I don't like the big play button obstructing the view of the center of the cover where many albums have artist's face. Maybe it could move to the top of tracks or to the corner of the cover in a smaller size.
Also I noticed album reflection is gone. Hopefully it could return some day if you find a good algorithm without the ringing effect.

What's good with iTunes & Groove is they show mouse-over play button for each track not only in album view but other views as well. If that can be implemented for all views, it would be very useful.

Steven

• Administrator
Personally I'm not a big fan of this latest iTunes style. Especially I don't like the big play button obstructing the view of the center of the cover where many albums have artist's face. Maybe it could move to the top of tracks or to the corner of the cover in a smaller size.
Also I noticed album reflection is gone. Hopefully it could return some day if you find a good algorithm without the ringing effect.

What's good with iTunes & Groove is they show mouse-over play button for each track not only in album view but other views as well. If that can be implemented for all views, it would be very useful.
i have adjusted the button position for the expanded panel album cover.
I actually had the opposite reaction re: mouse over tracks for iTunes and found it annoying how the buttons flicker as you move from track to track. I guess i will see if there are any other comments around this before deciding what to do.

The only reason the reflection was removed is because i dont think it looks good on the left side and was distracting from the album tracks
Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:05:46 PM by Steven

redwing

i have adjusted the button position for the expanded panel album cover.
Thanks! Looking much better.

I actually had the opposite reaction re: mouse over tracks for iTunes and found it annoying how the buttons flicker as you move from track to track. I guess i will see if there are any other comments around this before deciding what to do.
I think people are after less and less work. All players support double-click playing, but people prefer a single click. Also notice how Groove supports single-click selection of tracks and albums with mouse-over tickbox. They don't want to hold control button.

redwing

Thanks! Yes, people would miss it as It does make a difference especially with dark skins.

phred

• Global Moderator
There's a small visual glitch when the tracks are set to appear to the right of the main panel. The word 'Tracks' overlaps the right end of the Jumpbar:
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Sigma

Could we possibly get an option to hide this button please?.....

I've clicked it by accident twice already (EDIT - make that three times) when I'm clicking on album art to expand the view and see the track list, which then clears my "now playing" list and starts that album playing. Given that I can double-click on album art to achieve the same thing, it has no real positives for me, but being able to accidentally click on it is definitely a negative.

Thanks.

Also, is there a way to move the album art back to the right in the expanded track list view?
Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:06:08 PM by Sigma

Steven

• Administrator
Could we possibly get an option to hide this button please?.....

I've clicked it by accident twice already (EDIT - make that three times) when I'm clicking on album art to expand the view and see the track list, which then clears my "now playing" list and starts that album playing. Given that I can double-click on album art to achieve the same thing, it has no real positives for me, but being able to accidentally click on it is definitely a negative.

Thanks.

Also, is there a way to move the album art back to the right in the expanded track list view?
i am going to add a setting as i know the play button issue wont be liked by a number of people (me included!)
i wont add any customisation for where the artwork is displayed

Steven

• Administrator
There's a small visual glitch when the tracks are set to appear to the right of the main panel. The word 'Tracks' overlaps the right end of the Jumpbar:
thats fixed now:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

i have added a setting to the Now Playing preferences: show "click to play" button.
This currently disables the new play button behavior in the artwork view and the intention is that this will also control whether the play button shows in other views as you mouse over tracks as suggested by redwing

phred

• Global Moderator
thats fixed now:
Thanks Steven - yes, it's fixed.
But now the 'play' button does not appear in Artwork View when the tracks are displayed on the ride side of the main panel. It -does- appear when the tracks are displayed directly under the selected panel. Nor does it appear when the tracks are displayed at the bottom of the main panel. And yes, the new "enable click to play button' is checked.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
i have added a setting to the Now Playing preferences: show "click to play" button.
This currently disables the new play button behavior in the artwork view and the intention is that this will also control whether the play button shows in other views as you mouse over tracks as suggested by redwing
After some experimenting with this, i dont think it really works in the Track Details or Album and Tracks views for MusicBee. I was going to use the left most column for this purpose but the clickable area for the icon is too small (Groove uses much wider row padding). It might work a bit better if the play button showed at the end of the track title text so a wider clickable space could be used but then you get the horrible flickering of text that groove has (and to a lesser extent iTunes as well). Plus the user can configure the track title text to be displayed anywhere in the panel whereas its in a fixed location for groove and iTunes. I cant imagine double clicking is a problem to users.
So i think i will not do this and move the new 'show "click to play" button' setting to the artwork panel settings and only show it on the album covers (as now)

phred

• Global Moderator
But now the 'play' button does not appear in Artwork View when the tracks are displayed on the ride side of the main panel. It -does- appear when the tracks are displayed directly under the selected panel. Nor does it appear when the tracks are displayed at the bottom of the main panel. And yes, the new "enable click to play button' is checked.
6403 has fixed this. Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki