Author Topic: (Solved, I'm an idiot) Ghost genres in autocomplete.  (Read 2515 times)

EffenBlue

I'm using 3.1.6314 and when using autocomplete on genre, the drop-down menu shows ghost entries.
They don't appear in the column browser.
Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:17:54 PM by EffenBlue

Steven

• Administrator
well MB isnt randomly making up genres. What it will be is the auto-complete list is based on all files MB knows about, even ones not in the library

phred

• Global Moderator
If you want to remove those phantom genres, do a custom search of the genre category using the exact spelling of the ones you don't want. When MB returns the tracks with those genres, delete or correct them. When there are no more files with the phantom tags, they won't show up in the auto-complete drop-down.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

EffenBlue

well MB isnt randomly making up genres. What it will be is the auto-complete list is based on all files MB knows about, even ones not in the library
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. The ghost genres were valid before I changed them to the correct one. Usually in other autocompletes the no longer used values are removed, for some reason the ones in genre seem to stay.
If you want to remove those phantom genres, do a custom search of the genre category using the exact spelling of the ones you don't want. When MB returns the tracks with those genres, delete or correct them. When there are no more files with the phantom tags, they won't show up in the auto-complete drop-down.
I've tried that, they aren't showing up. Maybe there are some multi-genre files somewhere. I'll do some more re-scanning/searching to see if I can find the files.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are they persisting past restarting MusicBee?  I find that auto-complete entries will hang around (and new ones won't necessarily show up) until I do a restart.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

EffenBlue

Yes. I've restarted a few times but they seem to persist.

phred

• Global Moderator
I've tried that, they aren't showing up. Maybe there are some multi-genre files somewhere. I'll do some more re-scanning/searching to see if I can find the files.
In the case of (perhaps) multi-genre files, use the custom search criteria genre -contains- whatever.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

EffenBlue

Okay, so I decided to search the MusicBeeLibrary.mbl file for the ghost genres and found one. It was located in a video file. I usually search "local node only" which is music so it never checked the video node. All the "ghost" genre's were in my video files. I.am.such.an.idot!
Thanks for your help Steven, phred and psychoadept. Sorry for wasting your time.