Author Topic: Help, file name too long [SOLVED]  (Read 8347 times)

ikonomov

I tried to convert some files with the File Converter and received an error for a filename being too long.
"Failed - The specified path, file name or both are too long.  The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters and the directory name must be less than 248 characters."

I did a search and seems that there are numerous threads on the topic and it was mentioned that the problem was addressed at one point.  I do remember running into a problem a while back while ripping a CD where it ripped fine but then when I tried to move the folder to a deeper folder structure I got an error.  Is it possible that the new algorithm for shortening file names made it to CD Ripping and not for File Conversion?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:  More specifically is there a way to specify the file length MusicBee uses.  As long as my tags are named correctly I suppose I can just use "01 Track.ogg" and it wouldn't make any difference, but still it would be nice if possible to to have say "<Track#> <Tittle (50)>.ogg" or have the ability to set a file length limit somewhere in the settings.

Edit #2: Maybe this wouldn't be needed in a few months, http://betanews.com/2016/05/29/long-paths-windows-10/ as it seems that windows 10 should get longer path support soon.  Still any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:56:05 AM by ikonomov

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
The path limit is pretty universal for Windows users. I would strongly recommend not trying to store so much information in your filenames and/or directories, that's what tags are for.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Aevaris

The path limit is pretty universal for Windows users. I would strongly recommend not trying to store so much information in your filenames and/or directories, that's what tags are for.

This. It's a Windows issue not a MB issue.

Your options are:
- Simplify your directory structure (dont do c:\users\username\music\mylibrary\musicbee\audio\mysong.mp3, move it higher so you aren't limiting yourself due to how buried you've made it.)
- Move to a different OS
- Store less information in the filename and rely on the tags.

ikonomov

I rip my files to c:\rips\artist\album\track# title, and then I transfer them to my Qnap NAS that does not have a limitation.  When I transfer files to my phone they have the same structure.  The problem comes with certain classical albums, when I rip I make sure to specify the Artist and Album, because very often the tag information pulled is too detailed, but even then sometimes titles for some songs can be incredibly long and it is not practical to check the title for every song that I rip.  Of course the limitation comes from Windows, but I wonder if it's possible to limit MusicBee to only use say the first 50 letters of the title of a song, and then simply cut it.

ikonomov

OK, I did some more testing and I think I have pinned the cause of the problem.  MusicBee file naming was indeed fixed at one point, as I was able to find from other forum threads.  However it is possible to still get an error while ripping or during file conversion, as it does happen with both the same way.

1. If the title of a track is very long, say 400 letters, MusicBee will rename the end with some kind of renaming convention and the encoding is successful.

2. The error occurred when I tried to convert a file that has a title with 197 characters including spaces.  Could it be that this happens because the title by itself does not exceed the maximum characters allowed, so MusicBee does not use the renaming convention for files that are too long, but then when it tries to add it to a folder, the total path length then exceeds the total number of characters allowed?

I believe this should be reported as a Bug, if a moderator reads this, can you please move the topic to the Bugs section, if you find it appropriate.  Thanks
Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:06:28 AM by ikonomov

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I rip my files to c:\rips\artist\album\track# title, and then I transfer them to my Qnap NAS that does not have a limitation.  When I transfer files to my phone they have the same structure.  The problem comes with certain classical albums, when I rip I make sure to specify the Artist and Album, because very often the tag information pulled is too detailed, but even then sometimes titles for some songs can be incredibly long and it is not practical to check the title for every song that I rip.  Of course the limitation comes from Windows, but I wonder if it's possible to limit MusicBee to only use say the first 50 letters of the title of a song, and then simply cut it.

You might be able to accomplish this with a virtual tag, but I have not explored the available functions at all and don't know how this would be accomplished.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)

redwing

This issue's already addressed for v3.1, but not yet available for now:

v3.1 has already fully implemented handling for long file names.
I will probably make it available in a couple of weeks to a few weeks away

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
but I wonder if it's possible to limit MusicBee to only use say the first 50 letters of the title of a song, and then simply cut it.
in your sync template changing <Title> to $Left(<Title>,50) will do this
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Found it, was bugging me and I had to search. It's already something you can work around using functions. http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Create_a_File-Naming_Template

Just scroll down to Tips for Shortening Tag Values to see that you can insert this in place of <Title>: $Left(<Title>,50)

That will be a viable workaround for you until longer paths can be used.

hunderson