Author Topic: Editing and Saving Files  (Read 4264 times)

ArthurDaniels

When I edit and save tags in existing files, does MusicBee actually write these changes to the hard drive when I click on the "Save" button?

The reason I ask this question is that I made changes to tags on a number of files, saving each change as I progressed.  I could see the changes apparently being saved as I went along.  However, during this process, I experienced an unexpected total shutdown of my computer.  (Note: this unexpected total shutdown has previously occurred at other times when I have been editing MusicBee files.).

This time, when I rebooted the computer and reloaded MusicBee, MusicBee came up to a previous set of screens (not the screens upon which I was working when the unexpected shutdown occurred).  Next thing I noticed was that none of the tag edits I had made were saved.  It appears that, when MusicBee reloaded after the shutdown, the program reverted to some previously-saved state which was prior to any of the edits I have made.

So, again, my question is:  When does MusicBee actually write data to the hard drive and why were my edits not saved to the hard drive at the time I made them?

Thanks,

Art

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
When I edit and save tags in existing files, does MusicBee actually write these changes to the hard drive when I click on the "Save" button?

Yes, with the exception of the currently playing track, which is saved once it stops playing.  Did you rescan the files that reverted?  The MusicBee database may have forgotten the changes, but they will be saved to the files and can be scanned back in.  (The other exception is if you have a custom tag set to "Save to MusicBee database only".)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ArthurDaniels

Thanks for your reply.  No, I did not res-can the files after re-booting - that action did not occur to me.  I do not have any of my Custom Tags set to "Save to MusicBee Database Only".

I will remember to re-scan all files in the future whenever I make changes - or when I have an unexpected shutdown.

Now, a related question:

Regarding the "unexpected shutdown":  I have experienced this issue on a number of occasions while using MusicBee.  I a running Windows 10 Professional on my "Music Computer".  When the issue occurs, it is an instant and total shutdown - identical to what would happen if I pushed and held down the main power button on the computer.

Sometimes, the issue occurs at random when I am just listening to music.  More often, it occurs if I am listening and editing at the same time.  Are there concerns about simultaneous listening and editing?

Have other users reported a similar problem?

Thanks,

Art

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've had MusicBee itself crash occasionally, but it has never sit down my whole computer. When this happens, is there anything in the error log?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
MB does write tags to the file immediately, unless the file is playing, in which case the file write is delayed until the song has finished.
However, windows and your disc will have their own caches so in the case of a total unexpected shutdown then you can loose data or a file can be corrupted.
In terms of what you see in the musicbee library, in v3.1, the database is flushed to disc ever few minutes but again the same could apply in terms of windows and disc caches.
As to why you are having a complete shutdown, i dont know. It may pay to check the disc is OK using the windows chkdisk utlity

ArthurDaniels

Hi Steve,

I have run chkdsk on my external HD which holds my entire music collection.  Chkdsk was run successfully and some repairs were made.  I will see if further unexpected shutdowns occur.

Otherwise, I am OK at this point.  Any edits I might have lost, I can recreate.  They are not critical.

Otherwise, I understand all comments about editing and writing edits to the disk.  I will observe these protocols as I go forward.  And, I will remember to re-scan files as I go along during edits.

Best,

Art

ArthurDaniels

Hi Steve,

just an update.  Last night, I was listening and editing and I experience another computer shutdown.  Restart and recovery was without incident, but again, I noticed that when I opened MusicBee after the shutdown, the residual music in the playlist and some other screen information was from a status earlier than when the shutdown occurred.  This reversion to an earlier status has always accompanied these shutdown events.

In addition to using MusicBee, I also use the MusiChi suite of player and editor programs.  In fact, I used MusiChi to completely rip and store all of the files from my CD collection (over 23,000 files).  So, I have a great deal of experience with MusiChi.  Using MusiChi has not been without incident, but I have never experienced the unexpected and complete computer shutdowns which have occurred when using MusicBee.  Therefore, I do not suspect hardware issues as the cause.

The interesting aspect to these shutdowns is that, when it happens, it is instantaneous.  The sound stops and the computer is instantly and completely turned off.  If this problem is unique to me, then there is no point in worrying about it.  If you receive other complaints about instant computer shutdowns, I'll be glad to gather data of whatever kind might be beneficial to help solve the problem.

Best,

Art

Steven

• Administrator
well i have never heard of anyone having this issue. What i suggest is try whitelisting musicbee in your security software, as its not unknown for that to cause strange issues, especially if you are using Avast then exclude MB from the deepscan feature.
Other than that, if it still happens then i dont have any further suggestions

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Try looking in your Window Logs (under Computer Management> Event Viewer)
They should be able to pinpoint exactly what is causing the system shutdown.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ArthurDaniels

T
Try looking in your Window Logs (under Computer Management> Event Viewer)
They should be able to pinpoint exactly what is causing the system shutdown.
[/quote)

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.  I have opened the Event Viewer, but I confess that I have not yet figured out how to find the appropriate log o r whatever I need to do to look at the shutdown event.

ArthurDaniels

After experiencing several unexpected shutdowns again today, I looked at the Event Log again.  Each shutdown was defined as an unexpected system crash, caused by the system failing to continued to respond.  I believe this is most likely a hardware-related problem.

I did a bit of research related to unexpected Windows 10 system shutdowns and discovered a very interesting from one person who had experienced multiple shutdowns and who had tried all of Microsoft's suggested software checks without success.  He decided to take his computer outdoors and use a blower to blow out the innards (without disassembly).  He was surprised to see the dust fly and, more importantly, the unexpected shutdowns disappeared.

I said to myself, "Go and do likewise".  Some dust flew foe me, too.  After reconnecting the computer and rebooting, the first thing I noticed was that the very noisy internal hard drive was no longer noisy.  And, so far, no shutdowns.  We'll see....