Author Topic: Musicbee is randomly deleting files on me??? whats going on?  (Read 6413 times)

Trev1234

Hi, I downloaded musicbee (was going top transfer from mediamonkey) and was sorting my music collection (album art) when it started to delete files at random from the source folders. Maybe just one or two tracks. I could not find those tracks anywhere even in the trash folder. This is absolutely unacceptable and not matter how great musicbees features might be this makes it null and void. Back to mediamonkey for me

any help would be appreciated thank you

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you checked the Inbox?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Have you turned on any of MusicBee's auto-organize functions in Library Preferences?  That is the only thing that would cause MusicBee to move files from their original location.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Hi, I downloaded musicbee (was going top transfer from mediamonkey) and was sorting my music collection (album art) when it started to delete files at random from the source folders. Maybe just one or two tracks. I could not find those tracks anywhere even in the trash folder. This is absolutely unacceptable and not matter how great musicbees features might be this makes it null and void. Back to mediamonkey for me

musicbee doesnt have a random automatic file delete function and when MB does delete files, they get deleted to the recycle bin. And if what you say really were true dont you think there would be a large number of angry posts about this on the forum? Your wording comes accross to me as wither written by a troll or as someone who has used library auto-organise or auto-sweep features that they dont understand.

wobbly

I will say it again if you care about your files always test with some copies... until you understand what's going to happen ... that  goes  for any new software you are trying not just Musicbee

that way if something  goes wrong you have only lost  your time

StefanIvanovic

Just to let you know, I had similar issue when converting DSF to MP3 or M4A, I got no error about converting process and everything seemed fine, but sometimes some of the source DSF track(s) were deleted (not to Recycle Bin, but permanently). I haven't had converted any SACD album recently, so I don't know if this still persist, but it did happen a couple of times. I keep SACD ISOs as backup since that. It happened both with MB installation (some time ago) and portable version that I have been using for the last year or so, and with two different disks where files were stored, one SSD other is HDD.

Trev1234

musicbee doesnt have a random automatic file delete function and when MB does delete files, they get deleted to the recycle bin. And if what you say really were true dont you think there would be a large number of angry posts about this on the forum? Your wording comes accross to me as wither written by a troll or as someone who has used library auto-organise or auto-sweep features that they dont understand.

Firstly I take issue with you accusing me of being a troll. I have not used any of the auto organise features or autosweep features.

Secondly, i am not the first user to have this issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14990.0

Why are you so defensive/dismissive when i am reporting this problem to you? It is a real problem , i am not making it up.

Also, I have all my files backed up so that is not an issue. But half a dozen times files have just been deleted and no trace of them. All I was
doing was using the 'auto tag by track function'

Thanks for other users who tried to help

Steven

• Administrator
I have spent some time rechecking the code and I can imagine one possibility for this to happen - its not random deletion though.
When saving tags to a file where MB needs to rewrite the entire file (which doesnt normally happen often), MB initially writes the data to the windows temporary files folder and when done renames it to replace the existing file. If MB has removed the old file but is unable move the temporary file eg. it is being locked by your security software while it scans the file, then the file will only exist in the windows temporary files folder.

I have made a few changes to improve the handling for that scenario.

for v3.0:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

for v3.1:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Trev1234

Thanks very much. I have a very large library of 200k files and what happened was when i added them to music bee some
of them lost the artwork. So i had to spend a lot of time tagging the art on the files and every so often it pops us a message
'file no longer exists at expected location'. I will try the fix thanks very much :)

I used to used Media Monkey as for years it was the best music player, but compared to MusicBee it is very clunky and not user
friendly. I especially love the Auto DJ function where you can play similar artists integrated with last fm. Loving the 'theatre mode'
as well. I will be sticking with Music Bee and telling all my friends about it. thanks again

Trev1234

I have spent some time rechecking the code and I can imagine one possibility for this to happen - its not random deletion though.
When saving tags to a file where MB needs to rewrite the entire file (which doesnt normally happen often), MB initially writes the data to the windows temporary files folder and when done renames it to replace the existing file. If MB has removed the old file but is unable move the temporary file eg. it is being locked by your security software while it scans the file, then the file will only exist in the windows temporary files folder.

I have made a few changes to improve the handling for that scenario.

for v3.0:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

for v3.1:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Would you mind giving me the location of the temp folder that musicbee stores the deleted file in? thank you

boroda

its %TEMP% windows variable. right-click on 'this pc' (or 'My computer') and select 'properties', click 'additional system setting' (dont know exact english wording), 'enviroment variables'

Trev1234

I just done a 'dead links' report on MediaMonkey. Over 1,000 of my 300k file have disappeared from the location path
they were supposed to be in. This is all because I was updating the artwork tags of the files. MusicBee should not
be moving the location of any files to a temp folder. Luckily I have the files backed up but it is a bit of a nightmare
to be honest

Trev1234

It seems to be files from my external hard-drives (more than one) ,, funny thing is that there doesn't seem to be any more
space on the external hard drive even though the file has dissapeared , so i suspect it it there somewhere but just cannot find it.
Any help would be appreciated thank you

sambice

Hi guys, I'm also having this problem. It's happened at least twice that I know of, specifically when using the Album Tagger.

I don't have auto-organise enabled, or any setting like it. (I've been using Musicbee for years)

It happens either during or after tagging an album, around either the stage where it writes the metadata to the files, or after sending them to the library and they're being analysed (I'm not 100% sure, MusicBee just says 'X files removed" gradually in the status bar and they are removed.

It's just happened again tonight... and I lost about a dozen new albums a few weeks ago as well, and had to go chase up the receipts for the links to download them again.

For all I know I've lost more, I just happened to be looking for these albums and went and looked and they were either gone completely, or there were a couple of tracks left in each folder.

I was on an advance release build from the forums, but as of a few months ago I've gone back to the stable release build.

Any ideas how I can fix/prevent this? :(