Author Topic: music organized across 2 drives  (Read 2864 times)

Mr. Trev

Right now all my music lives on my NAS (WD My Cloud) which is getting rather full. The NAS has a USB3 port which I could use to plug in an additional drive, but from what I've read that would show as a separate drive rather than just adding the capacity together in JBOD fashion.

Is there any way I can continue using the auto organize if the music is spanned across 2 separate drives. It is much cheaper to buy an external drive (I already have a 1TB portable I could use in a pinch) than a whole new NAS

Coogan

I have my music on two internal hard-drives.  No problems at all.
Just make sure to point MusicBee to your music folders.

Coogan
My MusicBee Version:

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
The NAS has a USB3 port which I could use to plug in an additional drive, but from what I've read that would show as a separate drive rather than just adding the capacity together in JBOD fashion.
If that drive is added via a symbolic link than Windows (and MB) will just see the added drive as extra space on the original drive.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Mr. Trev

Symbolic link? How's that work?

I would be ideal if I can just make my NAS "bigger" and not have to worry about changing drive letters and such

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Symbolic link? How's that work?
To be accurate, your not adding the discs together like JBOD but linking another folder on the new drive to your existing music library folder so that it behaves as one big folder under Windows.

There is a guide here that shows how to do this on a command-line level or using the software that boroda74 suggested.

AND...
You will probably need to use a junction, as it's on network drives
Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:40:28 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

boroda

AND...
You will probably need to use a junction, as it's on network drives
yes, and that's utility supports junctions also (and hardlinks, but they are not need in this case).

Mr. Trev

Hey guys, wondering if you might be able to help me with this a bit more

I downloaded the Linkshell utility, but can't get anything to work.

I'm using my 2.5" portable for testing before I decide if its worth dropping the coin on another drive

I've got my NAS mapped as drive T: and the external drive plugged into the mapped as Z:
When I try to link my existing music folders to the external I just get an unable to find path error (btw which folder do I want to be source link - my music folder, or the empty drive. The instructions left me a bit confused about which is which).

If I try doing the same thing in the Network node (I think that's what it's called), I'll get an unable to parse error.
I have been able to create a junction if the external drive is plugged into my laptop, but that doesn't help me because my laptop would need to be on 24/7 in order for DAPhile to access the extra space.

I'll be the first to admit I'm probably in over my head here (I've also reached out to WD), so any help (or alternatives) you can offer would be great. I really would like to avoid having to buy a new NAS just for the extra storage (from what I've read trying to swap the drive in these MYCloud things is quite the ordeal too)

boroda

actually have never tried that app on network drives, may its the problem. you better just add music to mb library from 2 drives. the only issue with this approach might be in case of organizing music in mb (you will need to define some exception to org rules to mb split music to 2 drives). i can't see any problems if you will manually (by win explorer) organize music.