Author Topic: Unable to save the library database  (Read 6702 times)

oldengray

I have been using MusicBee for many months and just started getting the error message "Unable to save the library database: access to the path is denied" for the last week or two.  This problem was reported by another user back in 2015 (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16255.msg95429#msg95429) and I have tried the suggestions given then, but to no avail.

I am using the latest version of MusicBee on Windows 10 Home 64bit, and I sign in to Windows as the Admin with Full Control of the Music directory. 

I would like to be able to solve this, so any help would be appreciated.

boroda

try to right-click on mb icon and select 'run as administrator' and check if this helps. its *not* the solution of your problem, its just a check.

boroda

check if path to library database (<libraryname>.mbl) exists and you have access rights to it.

oldengray

The path exists and its Properties show that I have full control of it.

Steven

• Administrator
check the error log - help/ support/ view error log
there should be a more detailed error report there. I only need to see the last logged entry

oldengray

Here it is:

4/4/17 08:00:59 AM - 10.0.14393.0 - 3.0.6276.35911 - System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   at #=qdvYyQsLH7PTKSKUyqzGrYSHu_oyIvHW_Hro5GG8IgDY=.#=qr10JuM$eTcKNv2RclpuMjw==(#=qsZTD2eO978r7G4UmDWD91w== #=qHPfNNtKam_9MYamixNENvg==, #=qsZTD2eO978r7G4UmDWD91w== #=qat0kMQOThs3p$PzN_$3TSg==)
   at #=qdvYyQsLH7PTKSKUyqzGrYSHu_oyIvHW_Hro5GG8IgDY=.#=qNKnx5L9DGnmj$i4P_tUTYw==(#=qsZTD2eO978r7G4UmDWD91w== #=qIaXa95lAMzbBRb_FVtDy9Q==, #=qsZTD2eO978r7G4UmDWD91w== #=qro6OVY4Ckj8PRYJP$_71XQ==)
   at #=qWpQ5q1GcA2F$zLil$2GoVhuKE7F4PNW2EU$6RZ2j7Q0=.#=qaT2zOwtvKgXR7VyWX3LB5I1M_D7LUpfciusZEVqrVA0=.#=qrToozI5kphX16x6bDaIrCA==()
   at #=qWpQ5q1GcA2F$zLil$2GoVhuKE7F4PNW2EU$6RZ2j7Q0=.#=qaT2zOwtvKgXR7VyWX3LB5I1M_D7LUpfciusZEVqrVA0=.#=qQv9yekdj_Pxwtdj1Rwkk0w==()
   at #=qWpQ5q1GcA2F$zLil$2GoVhuKE7F4PNW2EU$6RZ2j7Q0=.#=qgCon_RJaErRLk92rNaEZrg==()
   at #=qn3aANF2VEqXOVQUFy$ytVvY5iW7pXHYkU8MYhCHimcE=.#=qa9OhW7BrEPHOBs3CE4XvuQ==()
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeApplication.#=q33DmNFnsYC3mGmewdOX4ug==.#=qAUDU7dXnqqRVZwTvYqNcyA==(CloseReason #=qteAU6_U3TV22lzroCtz6bg==)

Steven

• Administrator
its probably the backup file: MusicBeeLibrary.bak that you dont have permissions to remove or overwrite

oldengray

I have the same Full Control permissions for the .bak file as the .mbl file.  I did get an error message referencing denied access to the path to the .bak file before, but I don't recall now what action I took to elicit it.

MusicBee seems to work fine, but I continue to get the error message when I close it.

Steven

• Administrator
also check your directory permissions and try manually deleting MusicBeeLibrary.bak
I wont be able to help any further with this as it seems a windows related issue

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What folder is the problem file in?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

oldengray

The problem file was in C:\Users\Mike[me]\Music\MusicBee.

However, I uninstalled MB, hunted down and removed every shred of it from my PC, downloaded it again and tried to install it.  And when I did I got this error message:

Unable to access the MusicBee Library path:  C:\Users\Mike\Music\MusicBee\

But there is no longer a MusicBee file in that path; I verified by searching for it and Windows says it doesn't exist.

So I don't know if I have a Windows problem or a MB problem, but I can't install the app.

I may try the portable app to see if that makes a difference, but I would welcome any suggestions.

oldengray

Portable install didn't work at all.  Error message said "Error opening file for writing:  C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\MusicBee\aacgain.exe"

If I hit Ignore it produced the error message again on the next file in the install sequence, etc.

boroda

you don't have full control over "C:\users\mike\". recheck it and keep in mind that access rights might be inherited from parent folders.

oldengray

I have checked the permissions from C:\ down through C:\Users\Mike\Music and I seem to have full control, yet I still can't install MB.

Again, MB worked fine for me up until a week or so ago, and I haven't made any Windows changes (other than normal MS updates) in that time.

I don't know what is going on, but I am frustrated and unwilling to put any more effort into it at the moment.  I prefer MB to WMP, but at least the latter app works for me.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help.

Mike