Author Topic: [Solved] Problems with grouping albums  (Read 6909 times)

Dendonflo

Hi, I've been using Musicbee for a long time now, and I've always used to have my music sorted this way:

-Album Artist
-Album

Meaning that musicbee would only show me each artist once and then, once I clicked on it, it would show me the list of the albums of the said artist in a line. The problem is, I recently added 3 new albums to my collection, which had tagging problems that i solved pretty quickly, but since, musicbee kept the sorting, but has now stopped regrouping all my albums of a same artist into a single button, it now shows them next to each others, like this:

When it happened, i had not changed any of the settings of MB, but as you can see, it is problematic this way since I have a lot of albums from LAPFOX TRAX, Savant, etc etc, and the albums that were in multiple volumes are now separated from each others as well (ex: Top right: The 4 Final Fantasy XIII OST albums were once all regrouped under the same "square", and I'd have to click it for it to show me the albums).

I've tried tweaking Musicbee for hours but none of what I do appears to be working, which got me here, asking for your help.

If you have any trouble understanding what I mean, please tell me and I'll try to change the post, English not being my native language.
Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:32:00 PM by Dendonflo

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Try changing your main panel view to Artists, in the menu at the top left of the main panel (where it says Albums right now)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Dendonflo

Thanks for the answer, the thing is, when i click on it, it says that Artists is selected, and Albums doesn't even appear on the list,  :|

And It's not a problem with the french Language pack, I tried switching it to english, and it show Albums when Artists is actually selected, I tried the otehr options but none of them worked. :|

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Huh.  If no one else has a solution before then, I will play around with settings when I get a minute and see if I can figure it out.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

lostinsound

Thanks for the answer, the thing is, when i click on it, it says that Artists is selected, and Albums doesn't even appear on the list,  :|

And It's not a problem with the french Language pack, I tried switching it to english, and it show Albums when Artists is actually selected, I tried the otehr options but none of them worked. :|
Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, but have you tried switching to another view (such as Tracks or Album Covers) and then switching back to Artists? I've had some sorting issues before that were resolved by doing this. I think it just resets the view.

Dendonflo

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, but have you tried switching to another view (such as Tracks or Album Covers) and then switching back to Artists? I've had some sorting issues before that were resolved by doing this. I think it just resets the view.

Yep, as I stated above, I tried all the opther options (By that I meant album covers etc etc) and none of them fixed the issue, I'm currently back on the "Artists checked but albums shown" option.

Steven

• Administrator
can you send me a link to your settings file (help/ support/ view settings)

Dendonflo

can you send me a link to your settings file (help/ support/ view settings)

Here: https://mega.nz/#!r8oTmIpC!MkXWk0Mlr6gicRGhr9TNZSQLj_A12YBBMwOhJAo2aE4

I've tried fiddling with quite a few settings since the bug happenned so I can't assure you I've made no mistake ^^"

Steven

• Administrator
its fine for me using your settings but i expect the issue will be because you are grouping by Sort Album Artist.
Change it to group by Album Artist instead

Dendonflo

its fine for me using your settings but i expect the issue will be because you are grouping by Sort Album Artist.
Change it to group by Album Artist instead

I..... didn't understand that :\

My sort by option is at "Album artist/album"
My group by option is at "no grouping"

Changing the sort by option doesn't fix it and choosing a group by options just sorts the album alphabetically on a certain tag (exemple: sorts them A-Z by the name of the album artist without fusing the albums in a single artist)

Steven

• Administrator
in the settings file you sent, you had group by set to sort album artist
when displaying artists (again that was how your settings file is configured), you dont get the choice to set Sort By

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
In the second screenshot you can see that even though Artists is selected, it has both a group by and sort by option just like the Album Covers menu.  Probably related to whatever's scrambled...
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
the only other suggestion i have is to update to v3.1 as the settings file sent works fine for me

Dendonflo

in the settings file you sent, you had group by set to sort album artist
when displaying artists (again that was how your settings file is configured), you dont get the choice to set Sort By

Sorry to insist, but opening the ini file in Notepad ++ and searching for "groupby" / "group by" gives me those lines:

-1096 <NavigatorArtworkGroupBy>0</NavigatorArtworkGroupBy>

-1097 <NavigatorArtworkVideoGroupBy>0</NavigatorArtworkVideoGroupBy>

-1098 <CoversGroupBy>0</CoversGroupBy>

-1183 <GroupBy>3</GroupBy>

-1195 <GroupBy>0</GroupBy>

-1206 <GroupBy>0</GroupBy>

-1217 <GroupBy>0</GroupBy>

-1228 <GroupBy>0</GroupBy>

-2068 <NavigatorAlbumGroupByFolder>false</NavigatorAlbumGroupByFolder>

-2069 <NavigatorAlbumGroupByCompilation>false</NavigatorAlbumGroupByCompilation>

-2070 <NavigatorAlbumGroupByCompilationValue>Various Artists</NavigatorAlbumGroupByCompilationValue> (Might be this one but it's value doesn't correspond to what you told me, and I have no idea what's the exact value I should replace it with)

But I get no results when I search for "sort album artist", "sortalbumartist", "album artist", "albumartist" ect ect

I'm usually used to tweaking ini files but I don't even exactly know what I'm looking for here, using key words didn't get me far and the file is 2973 lines long so going through them one by one would prove difficult :|

In the second screenshot you can see that even though Artists is selected, it has both a group by and sort by option just like the Album Covers menu.  Probably related to whatever's scrambled...

Using "sort by" ("classer par") DOES change the way they're sorted, but doesn't fuse any album in a single artist.
Using "group by" ("grouper par") just changes the way the collection is displayed and adds an alphetical ordering to a precise tag, still without fusing albums.

Here's what it looks like with "group by" active with the "album artist" option:

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Steven's suggestion to update to 3.1 is a good one.  Take a look at my signature.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)