Author Topic: Comments Regarding Evaluation of Two DACs  (Read 5043 times)

ArthurDaniels

I am moving my DAC evaluation comments to this post.  I am knee-deep in evaluating two external DACs -- a Peachtree DACiTx and a Cambridge Dac Magic Plus.  So far, such differences as I think I have found are subtle and are mainly in how I perceive the details of several different recordings to which I have listened with both DACs.

One surprising thing I have learned is that, for either DAC, the best sound results from leaving the computer-based volume controls set to maximum and using the volume control on my Cambridge 851A amplifier.  Previously, I had been using either the Windows volume control and/or the level controls on my two music players (MusicBee or MusiCHI).  After getting some advice on this forum about leaving the MusicBee level control at max setting, I began to use the 851A amplifier control.  To do so conveniently required that I rearrange the position of my 851A so that the front panel faces my PLP -- allowing me to see the front panel settings and to change the volume level with the 851A remote.  This change is now permanent, regardless of the outcome of my DAC investigations.

I am listening to a wide variety of music types and presentations as I continue my DAC comparisons.  So far, nothing dramatic to report.

More later.......

Art

ArthurDaniels

I have concluded my comparison of the two DACs.  Essentially, I cannot distinguish the sound quality between the two DACs.  The Cambridge Dac Magic Plus has several features that the Peachtree DACiTx lacks, including balanced outputs and three different filters for me to sample.

So, I have decided to keep the Dac Magic Plus and the Red River XLR cables and use them in my music sound system.  I have moved my DACiTx to my business laptop and I will be using it to listen to music via earphones when it is necessary that I not play my music system -- or when I travel.

I am pleased with the combination of my dedicated music laptop, running MusicBee as the player and file manager; the Dac Magic Plus; my Cambridge 851A 2-channel integrated amplifier; and my Golden Ear Triton One and Triton Seven speakers.

Happy listening to all,

Art

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I myself have found that a good DAC is a good DAC is a good DAC. I've got two DACs on my desk at the moment: my old Asus Xonar U7 and my Schiit Modi Multibit. One is a good DAC, the other is a poor DAC.

U7: Sounds good, very noisy.

Modi: Sounds great, no perceivable noise.

Then, I have two DAPs that also work as USB DACs as well as a portable DAC/amp I now use at work. That's a total of five dedicated USB DACs. I can't hear a difference between four of them, only the U7 can be identified by my ear. Even my pricey Modi Multibit doesn't make even a tiny bit of difference to my ear. Note, I compare all DACs only in exclusive modes (WASAPI or ASIO as supported by the DAC) and only through the same amp and cables.

My best advice to anyone buying a DAC is to buy a good one, not a tiny cheap one, based on its features and the formats it supports. If it has a decent reputation, you can buy it with confidence. Amps are the hardware that will change your sound.

For anyone wondering, the U7 is still on my desk for use as a USB to digital coax convertor. It only introduces noise in the analog stage. I run the USB input on my Modi as my dedicated WASAPI device and the U7 for all other sounds through the coax input on the Modi.

Edit: spotted an incorrect model number.
Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:30:24 PM by CritterMan
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

ArthurDaniels

I agree with Critterman with regard to the difference a high-quality amplifier can make for music reproduction.  I recently migrated from listening to music via my Onkyo NR 3009 AV Receiver to listening via a Cambridge Audio 851A 2-channel integrated amplifier.  The improvement in the overall quality of the sound was dramatic - deeper and richer bass, better mid-range clarity, and an overall improvement in what I will call the depth and presence of the musical sound.  I listen primarily to classical orchestral and vocal/choral music and I am very glad that I moved my musical listening to the Cambridge Amp.

Art

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I now have 2 stand-alone DAC's, the most recent, a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100.
The difference in the sound stage, stereo separation, mid and high frequency reproduction and music quality in general is massively improved and is a WORLD AWAY from the performance of the older 'budget' item.

Cheers  ???