Author Topic: Possible to write virtual tags to custom tags?  (Read 1712 times)

lostinsound

Is it possible write the result of a virtual tag to a custom tag?

The reason I ask is because I want to sort albums by the name of the folder the album is in. It's easy enough to define the album folder using a virtual tag and splitting the path, but since I'm sorting by this tag it would be nice if it wasn't dynamically created every time it's accessed (I think that's how MusicBee does it?). I also want to avoid having to edit the custom tags of every single album individually, so being able to just write the Album Folder virtual tag to a custom tag all at once would be helpful.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Unless you're experiencing a big lag or something, there's no problem with sorting by a virtual tag.  I use a virtual tag, sometimes multiple, for most of my sorting & grouping settings.

You can do what you're asking for with the additional tagging & reporting tools plugin, but for it to be automatically updated you're just adding unnecessary extra calculations for MusicBee
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

lostinsound

Unless you're experiencing a big lag or something, there's no problem with sorting by a virtual tag.  I use a virtual tag, sometimes multiple, for most of my sorting & grouping settings.

You can do what you're asking for with the additional tagging & reporting tools plugin, but for it to be automatically updated you're just adding unnecessary extra calculations for MusicBee
Thanks for the quick reply! I don't necessarily need the custom tag to be automatically updated, I was thinking it would be more of a one-time thing of writing it to the custom tag and then just accessing it from there. But you're right it might not really be necessary since I haven't really had much problem with lag. Thanks for the info though, and pointing me in the direction of the additional tagging plugin. I hadn't noticed that before.