Author Topic: Handling of "; " separated Virtual Tag values in the Library Explorer  (Read 5602 times)

vzell

As Steve is reluctant to add more custom tags, with the recent changes to parsing the IPLS (Involved People List) tag and addition of the $RxReplace function I tried to emulate what I did before successfully with custom tags.

In the Library Explorer I wanted to have categories for the following "involved people role"-types

Engineer
  Arranger
  Producer
  DJmixer
  Mixer

Picard writes them to IPLS with the following roles names:

Engineer  - engineer
  Arranger  - arranger
  Producer - producer
  DJmixer   - DJ-mix
  Mixer      - mix

Nowadays MusicBee parses this information successfully from the IPLS tag

I created a couple of virtual tags along the line of the following regexp (this is for extracting "Arrangers" from IPLS) for my different roles:

Code
$Replace($Trim($RxReplace(<Artists: Performer>,"([^;\(]*\(arranger\))|(?:([^;\(]*\([^\)]*\))(?:;|$))|([^;\(\)]+(?:;|$))","$1"))," (producer)","")

The regexp formula gives me a "; "-separated list of arranger names.

But when I for example choose the category "Arranger" from the Library Explorer context menu, the "Arrangers" do not show up as individual entries, but still as a "; "-separated list as you can see in the following screenshot:

What I want, are separate entries for each arranger. Is this somehow possible ?

With the custom tag feature I used to store the different roles (arranger, producer, etc.) with Picard as "\x00" separated entries in TXXX/<RoleName> tags, for example TXXX/ARRANGER for the "Arrangers" and these have been picked up fine by MusicBee and worked as expected in the Library Explorer.

But I want to get rid of these 5 custom tags and use virtual tags instead as the information is already stored in the IPLS tag.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
You can do this already in the thumbnail browser
but I  +1  it to also have it work in the Library Explorer
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

vzell

I didn't notice, but you're right, so it should be possible also in the Library Explorer

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

redwing

I didn't notice, but you're right, so it should be possible also in the Library Explorer

Does this still work for you both with thumbnail browser and library explorer?
I just tested with some virtual tags that contain multiple values linked by ";", but parsing it into multiple values work for some tags sometimes but not at all most times. It's hardly reliably working, and especially thumbnail browser mostly shows nothing in the main panel even though it properly shows separate items and correct count on it.

vzell

Does this still work for you both with thumbnail browser and library explorer?
I just tested with some virtual tags that contain multiple values linked by ";", but parsing it into multiple values work for some tags sometimes but not at all most times. It's hardly reliably working, and especially thumbnail browser mostly shows nothing in the main panel even though it properly shows separate items and correct count on it.

I just double checked...parsing into multiple values works for me for ALL my virtual tags and they show up as SINGLE entries in the thumbnail browser. But the library explorer still shows the original ";"-separated values. It seems the main panel ONLY shows info when you click on an entry in the thumbnail browser, if THAT entry HAPPENS to be the sole value of otherwise multivalued virtual tags. For other entries in the thumbnail browser which are only part of real multivalued virtual tags, it shows nothing as you experience.

redwing

I just double checked...parsing into multiple values works for me for ALL my virtual tags and they show up as SINGLE entries in the thumbnail browser. But the library explorer still shows the original ";"-separated values. It seems the main panel ONLY shows info when you click on an entry in the thumbnail browser, if THAT entry HAPPENS to be the sole value of otherwise multivalued virtual tags. For other entries in the thumbnail browser which are only part of real multivalued virtual tags, it shows nothing as you experience.

Yep, I see the exactly same thing. Hope at least thumbnail browser could filter parsed items into the main panel.

Steven

• Administrator
i can reproduce this as described and will look to change the behaviour so the virtual tags are split and handled consistently with the library explorer.
For the new grouping feature, that currently only uses a single value and i probably wont change that but will have another look at it

redwing

Thanks! It's working for most virtual tags.

But I don't know why one tag does not work. It's the first performer tag from this post:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21150.msg130864#msg130864

Both library explorer and thumbnail browser correctly show split items on it, but the main panel shows nothing.

Another thing I noticed is that thumbnail browser shows split items almost instantly but library explorer takes some time in processing virtual tags (especially regex) while showing items for previous category for some time. Is that expected?

Steven

• Administrator
this should speed up sorting when virtual tags are involved:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

i am unable to reproduce any issues with the formula you refered to (display in the thumb browser/ library explorer and filtering of the main panel when items are selected)

redwing

Thanks! Library explorer is now much faster processing regex.

I still can't make that performer tag filtering into the main panel though role/instrument tag is working fine. I'll take another look at the formula if there's any unusual thing is involved.

redwing

I think this issue has something to do with how MB handles <Artist> tag because each split value of the virtual tag is equivalent to <Artist> tag value.

Try a virtual tag "<Artist>;<Album Artist>". It does the same thing, shows correct split items and count on the panel but filters nothing into the main panel.
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:09:05 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
can you send me your settings file as i have no issues with "<Artist>;<Album Artist>" either