Author Topic: Grouping in the thumbnail browser  (Read 2689 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I have added support for grouping in the thumbnail browser - group by a field or group by the first letter eg. display albums and group by Album Artist.
This setting cant be used in combination with Sorting by Count

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

ToitoineFou

Thanks, this should be very convenient for some panels.
Any way to make it work with multiple values? That would be great for collaboration albums.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I didn't think much about this when you mentioned it, but trying it out now, I love it!  It's really helpful with the performers now showing up in the Artist list.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Can you add support for <Grouping> tag?
I tried a virtual tag for it as the tag was not available, but it didn't work.
It groups items properly in thumbnail browser, but the main panel shows no tracks.

Steven

• Administrator
with Grouping and a couple of others added.

virtual tags seem to be working fine for me
Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:15:50 PM by Steven

redwing

Thanks! It's working great.

This is not about group by feature, just main item selection for thumbnail browser.
If I select <Grouping>, it works. But with a virtual tag for <Grouping>, it shows nothing in the main panel.
A virtual tag for <Bitrate> is another example.

edit: bitrate is working now even for grouping.

Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:28:33 PM by redwing

redwing

Tried grouping tag grouped by composer tag. The problem is each item for grouping tag keeps the same album cover assigned to it with no group by setting. So when it's grouped by composer tag, the displayed album cover has nothing to do with the actual albums belonging to the group. It's behaving like a genre icon. Would be great if the covers get updated with a different group by setting.
Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:17:10 AM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
Tried grouping tag grouped by composer tag. The problem is each item for grouping tag keeps the same album cover assigned to it with no group by setting. So when it's grouped by composer tag, the displayed album cover has nothing to do with the actual albums belonging to the group. It's behaving like a genre icon. Would be great if the covers get updated with a different group by setting.
i'm not having any issues with same or misleading album covers being displayed. Would you mind posting a screenshot so i can see what happens for you?

redwing

Sure, have a look at the following screenshots.
This playlist consists of three albums, violin concertos by Brahms, Beethoven and Mozart.
With no group by setting, the grouping tag "Violin Concerto" shows Brahms' cover.
When grouped by Composer, it keeps showing the same cover for all three groups.
But if you select Beethoven, the actual album in the main panel is different from the cover shown in thumbnail browser.

Steven

• Administrator
i can reproduce this and this should fix it:

however my test was a bit contrived so i would appreciate if you could confirm its ok now for you