Author Topic: Issues Syncing M3U (ascii) to Portable Device with Recent Update  (Read 1893 times)

brentoma589

I have a portable device (Sandisk Clip Sport). In the past, when I have synced regular M3U playlists to it, songs end up missing. Instead I have always used M3U (ascii) which has been fine until the latest update 3.0.6276. Now whenever I synchronize my playlists to my device, characters like ' or letters with accent marks get transferred/translated as ? which causes errors and the files cannot be located on the device. However this does not apply to all examples of a given character. Some 's translate over fine. This just started happening. It persists on 3.1.6275. Thanks!

Error Report here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yl60fe1mee3jgbo/ErrorLog.dat?dl=0

I should also mention, all of the other forms of M3U have varying issues with tracks missing on my player, so until now ascii was the only one that worked.
Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:03:56 AM by brentoma589

Steven

• Administrator
I dont see any changes to this aspect of musicbee since and including v2.5
For ascii encoding, MB uses 7-bit ascii encoding so any character that > 127 eg. a letter with an accent, gets translated as ?
However, i think I would be ok to change MB to use 8-bit ascii encoding that uses the default windows code page for characters >127 and <255
So i will do that for the next v3.1 update

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files
Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:52:35 PM by Steven

brentoma589

Thank you! That's weird that it worked until recently, given what you've said. But nevertheless I appreciate the support. I am now out of town so won't be able to try again for about a week. I will report back then. Thanks again!

brentoma589

Thank you! This seems to have worked, no more ?s in playlist files. One song is still giving me issues, the playlist looks fine in notepad but the song (which has a # in it) does not show up in the portable device. However, since the playlist looks fine both in notepad and in musicbee, I think it is some other issue (akin to the disappearing songs I've dealt with in non ascii variations of M3U) In any case, I'm not sure it is worth worrying about unless there's some easy fix. Thanks again!