Author Topic: Long Paths Feature of Windows 10 Anniversary Update Not Fully Supported  (Read 3516 times)

DukeBlue

Recently, Microsoft has removed the legacy path length limitations for users who opt in:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

I have a few tracks that, when properly named, exceed the old path length limitation of 260 characters. So, after having those tracks not properly load or play in MusicBee, I followed the instructions in the article, however, after a reboot and scanning for new files MusicBee is still experiencing some issues with the files.

Specifically, the tracks will now play where they did not before, but still none of the metadata for the track gets loaded, resulting in blank lines in my music library.  No errors get reported in the error log, per the "View Error Log" functionality.

I also tried moving the affected files out of my music library, re-scanning, moving the files back in, and re-scanning again in order to try to force MusicBee to reload metadata for the files.

Please fix so that MusicBee works fully with the new Windows 10 long path support.

Steven

• Administrator
Not sure i understand your logic that MB not supporting a new feature of windows 10 is a bug.
As it happens, v3.1 from the first forum topic supports long filenames for all windows versions
Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:46:33 PM by Steven

DukeBlue

Not sure i understand your logic that MB not supporting a new feature of windows 10 is a bug.
As it happens, v3.1 from the first forum topic supports long filenames for all windows versions

Bug, new feature, however you want to classify it, no worries. 8)   I would just like to see it fixed so that these files with paths > 260 characters display metadata correctly.  If you are saying that this should already be working... it doesn't seem to be in my case.  Possibly an issue specific to UNC paths, then, since that's what I'm using?

Other than this one issue I've found, I'm really liking MusicBee.

Duke

duckpuppy

I can confirm that I'm seeing this too.  Installing 3.1.6275 fixed MB adding then immediately seeing files with >260 character names as missing files after a scan, but now they show up in my library with no metadata.  I can confirm that the metadata is there by renaming that file to be shorter.  The problem is that I use a tool to keep my library organized, and I have a few songs that end up with giant filenames (usually on Various Artist albums where there are a lot of contributing artists on a track - the names of the artists are part of my filename template in that case).

Steven

• Administrator
I can confirm that I'm seeing this too.  Installing 3.1.6275 fixed MB adding then immediately seeing files with >260 character names as missing files after a scan, but now they show up in my library with no metadata.  I can confirm that the metadata is there by renaming that file to be shorter.  The problem is that I use a tool to keep my library organized, and I have a few songs that end up with giant filenames (usually on Various Artist albums where there are a lot of contributing artists on a track - the names of the artists are part of my filename template in that case).
i will try and look at this on the weekend but could you confirm if you right click the file/ Send To/ Rescan Files that the metadata is still missing?

Steven

• Administrator
i just tried adding a long filename using manual rescan (Insert key) and it works fine for me ie. add metadata is there
- do you have artwork embedded or linked to an external file
- is your library auto-organised?

duckpuppy

Sorry for the delay - vacation, etc, got in the way.

Yes, manually rescanning the file worked.  I do have embedded artwork, and I do not use auto-organize (I do that externally).

Steven

• Administrator
I wont do anything more for now. If it happens again, can you provide a set of steps for what you did when it happened