Author Topic: [Mod: Files with missing tags] How to delete the old library  (Read 5280 times)

DLiu

I moved my music to a new folder and created a new library for it. But, how that old library and its now dead links is still showing. How can I delete it? This is what I have done so far:

Using windows explorer, I deleted the MusicBee folder in the old folder.

Went to Users>Your User Name>AppData>Roaming>MusicBee
Right clicked on the StartupSettings.ini  and "Rename"
Changed the extension from ini to "txt". Now you can open the file.
Go to the line <string>some folder location<string>    Delete this line, then click SAVE using the menu.
Rename the file back to "ini".
Edit/Preference/General and checked ”Confirm removal of dead links”

I checked Edit/Preference/General and checked ”Confirm removal of dead links”

Thanks
Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:52:23 AM by psychoadept

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You need to find the old library file (.mbl) as delete it.  Probably delete the whole folder it's in, too.  It will be whatever folder is configured as the location for that library.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

DLiu

Thanks. But, as I stated, I have already used windows explorer to delete the MusicBee folder in the old folder. It didn't work.

When I click File\Library\Open Libary, the old folder is gone. But, it is still listed on MusicBee's left panel.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Try doing a search for *.mbl in Windows Explorer?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

DLiu

I did that. I deleted the entire old MusicBee folder. When I opened MusicBee again, it prompted me to "Choose Music Library". I deleted the old path and created a new library. When MusicBee launched, it showed a new album with no tracks in it. So far, so good. Then, I selected "Scan Folders for New Files". in the new dialog box, I navigated to the new folder, and click "Proceed". MusicBee then scanned for new files. When it was done, it again showed the two albums, one is with all of my tracks, and the one is "empty", but has seven tracks.
Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:51:03 PM by DLiu

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That doesn't sound like a library file problem.  Can you post a screenshot of the properties panel of the tag editor for one of those files?  With the file path showing.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

DLiu

Here is Here is a screen shot.

https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AADn3ehanCYDXhxH_WcQcKdyUoLgxCvE7RMPnkU4U4UIhw/12/71515505/jpeg/32x32/1/_/1/2/Image2.jpg/EJnQzDcYh-QFIAcoBw/ASrlQ30VI88DDJtLcvLfldOSPVGu3RBi7sdxkqgtujg?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3

One the dark, right screen: The upper left are the two albums, with the bottom one listed as "empty" The right side are the tracks on the empty albums. The bottom are the tags when I selected a track and right click/edit.

On the light, left screen is when I right clicked on the track and select "Locate"

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I get an error message when I try to view that link.  Maybe try uploading to imgur.com?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

DLiu

Sorry. I don't have an imgur account. Can you see it this link works? If it's doesn't, I will open an imgur account and post it there. Thanks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71515505/Image2.jpg

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, that works.

What the "Empty" means is that the tag field is empty.  It looks like MB isn't finding any tags for the file you have selected.  What do you see if you click where it says "No Album Cover"?  Also, can you show the properties tab in the tag editor?  It might also help to look at the tag inspector (found in the little [v] menu of the tag editor)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

DLiu

The attached link shows what I see when I right click on "No Cover Art", and right click on "No Cover Art" and then "Edit". it looks like when I right click on "No Cover Art", I can just delete?! I will refrain from doing so as I don't want to make it worse or complicated. I don't know how to find the tag editor. Thanks for your help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71515505/Image5.jpg

Dik

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't mean right click, I just mean showing the tracks in the main panel.

Like I said, you can find the tag inspector in the menu under the little arrow of the tag editor (which you already have open).  And the properties tab of the tag editor is hidden in your screenshot because you have more than one file selected.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

DLiu

I think these are what you asked for. I clicked on "No Cover Art" and it opened the "Unknown Album" window. I then right clicked on "No Cover Art" and clicked "Edit" and it shows what I think is the tag editor on the bottom of the screen. On that tag editor, I clicked on downward v arrow and selected the Tag Inspector. Thanks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71515505/Image6.jpg

I don't know how to get to the properties tab as I don't know what you meant by more than one file selected.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The Properties tab is that spot where it says "Properties" in your screenshots.

But I think we might be onto something.  According to the tag inspector, these are MP4 files, not MP3 files.  I can't see the file type in your Windows Explorer, so I suggest you check on that.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

DLiu

I see. These are m4a files. I recently had a service in California to rip my collection of classical CDs (mostly historical performances from the 40's to the 60's) into these files. That service specializes in ripping and tagging classical music CDs and recommended M4A files.

I opened MB and the "no cover art" image in the middle screen was gone. Instead, it shows 7 circles of exclamation marks. I clicked on an exclamation mark and it prompted me to locate the track. I did, and it led me to the folder where i see some music files. I clicked on a track - I can't remember which one and then back in MB its can play a track. I don't even know it was the right track as there is no information in the middle screen. Just exclamation marks. So, it is now down to 6 tracks.

The CD symbol on the left screen that shows "Empty" and "6 tracks" (before it was 7 tracks) - what does that CD symbol represent? Is it a library that can't locate the track? I only want to get rid of that CD symbol.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71515505/Image7.jpg