Author Topic: Windows 10 Media Control Overlay  (Read 61789 times)

DZombie

This was written through Google Translate.

First of all thank such an excellent plugin.
I want to mention that it works so far in Windows 10 (1903).

As you can notice by having their respective tags shows that information as if it were the native player of Windows.

Likewise in the blocking screen shows the above.

Finally for those who have problems not visualize the plugin to be the first time they use it, I commented that
only the file not the folder
, only the file
should be copied into the plugins folder
Finally thank you again for your work.

allavaz

I tried grabbing the code to try to make it show up when using play/pause and prev/next keys but when I opened the project in VS2019 all I got were errors (without even touching the code):

But at least I tried :p maybe the source code is outdated?

k0to

Janker

Does anyone else get a double input play/pause now when using with the overlay as mentioned in this post: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=10eeb080362fa5031efa27a49149b691&topic=29056.0

Everytime I try to use the addon at the moment . I,m guessing its something on Microsoft's end at this pont as I've tried it on both the Windows store and website (3.3) versions with no fix.

Havokdan

This happens to me only after I see some media in the browser, it seems that somehow the play / pause button is affected, I do not know if it's the same case, but I found it important to report here.

k0to

I've disabled the media buttons on Chrome by using flags, still does the double input thing.

waste

Unfortunately this plugin has a major bug, when pressing media keys on the keyboard the presses register twice. Once by the Media Control Overlay/Plugin and once by MusicBee. This causes track skipping and breaks the pause and play functionality as the commands are doubled.

I have tried to fix this by editing the code of the plugin but its difficult without extending the plugin API or something along those lines with information from MusicBee about when it intercepts the keyboard press of the media keys in or order to prevent the plugin from repeating the action that was already handled by MusicBee if that makes sense. It would be great if the API told the plugin if a song change/pause/play was triggered by a media key or something else.

Another option would be to allow the plugin itself to handle the media keys and removing them from MusicBee's hotkeys but that is honestly beyond my coding abilities.

Steven

• Administrator
Unfortunately this plugin has a major bug, when pressing media keys on the keyboard the presses register twice. Once by the Media Control Overlay/Plugin and once by MusicBee. This causes track skipping and breaks the pause and play functionality as the commands are doubled.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29056.msg164467#msg164467

kid

Just wanted to report in,
Plugin works like a charm, does exactly as it should.
When someone wants to use it in combination with universal media keys, be sure to disable the global hotkeys in the MB settings to prevent the double registering of key presses like mentioned in the other topic by Steven.

However for me it is not convenient to use.
- The media control overlay only "turns on" when media is playing.
    This means that there is no way to start playback with a media key after launching MB.
- Media control overlay gets hijacked by all sorts of other "media" players, meaning losing control over Musicbee.
- Microsoft seems to change the behavior occasionally with (feature) updates, might cause the feature to break in the future.

One peculiar thing I noticed;
the universal media keys on my K850 don't work with MB by default. The plugin fixes that, since MB then responds to the media control overlay from the OS, rather than a keyboard input. This seems to be a shitty "Logitech Options" media keys implementation (don't get me started on setpoint or intellitype "handling" of standard functions). However my M720 media gestures control playback just fine through the same (crappy) piece of software.

My Onkyo remote works fine through WinLIRC/frIRR! both without plugin and with plugin and hotkeys disabled, which is expected behavior. (I am 100% this sends out "normal" universal media control keystrokes)

Thanks Steven!
Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:57:17 PM by kid

alexdo

The whole problem is because of the media control "feature" that if you press a keyboard media key, the media control also simulates a click on its buttons. And the plugin defines the appropriate action for the buttons. So everything is executed two times - one from media control buttons callback and one from music bee global hotkey.

So here is a fixed plugin for everyone who wants to have working media control buttons and working global hotkeys:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7fdiewd2r3df62i/mb_MediaControl.zip/file

The fix uses a keyboard key press hook that watches for keyboard media key presses and saves the time of the last press. And if last press is less than 1500 milliseconds ago the media control button press is ignored.

For everyone who doesn't trust me, here is the source to see what is done and compile it yourself:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hfrflurmkonsv8f/MediaControlSource.zip/file
Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:00:07 PM by alexdo

MissPat

Hello all,

Question: is it just me or did the plugin stop working with Musicbee 3.3.7367 ?

I have installed it in the "plugins" folder as instructed but only the vanilla control overlay ever shows up when a playlist switches to a new track.

My MusicBee folder is on the "D" drive, could that be a problem?

Please let me know - would love to give the plugin a try.

phred

• Global Moderator
I have installed it in the "plugins" folder as instructed but only the vanilla control overlay ever shows up when a playlist switches to a new track.

My MusicBee folder is on the "D" drive, could that be a problem?
If your MB .exe file and installation of the entire application is on your D: drive, then your plugins directory is located under it. That's where this plugin belongs.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

anthony_p

EDIT : Well, I got ignored so ... one last time maybe ?

Anyways, after updating my PC to Windows 10 1903, the overlay is not displaying the currently playing song's artwork. It only does does so occasionally when the the song is played a couple of times on loop.

I have the latest version of Musicbee, and and did try completely uninstalling and reinstalling it to no avail. The problem persists with the Store App. I think it has something to do with Musicbee, as chrome and other players work just fine with the overlay.

I'd really appreciate the help, as I rely a lot on the overlay, and would love to see it as it should be :(

PS. And I did install the latest patch. No change.

carlosmg2

The whole problem is because of the media control "feature" that if you press a keyboard media key, the media control also simulates a click on its buttons. And the plugin defines the appropriate action for the buttons. So everything is executed two times - one from media control buttons callback and one from music bee global hotkey.

So here is a fixed plugin for everyone who wants to have working media control buttons and working global hotkeys:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7fdiewd2r3df62i/mb_MediaControl.zip/file

The fix uses a keyboard key press hook that watches for keyboard media key presses and saves the time of the last press. And if last press is less than 1500 milliseconds ago the media control button press is ignored.

For everyone who doesn't trust me, here is the source to see what is done and compile it yourself:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hfrflurmkonsv8f/MediaControlSource.zip/file

Thanks a lot!! this solved my issue.  I was getting crazy.
They should update the original plugin.