Author Topic: MusicBee and RAM File Storage  (Read 7669 times)

ArthurDaniels

MusicBee not supporting WASAPI?
Where did you read that in my website?
This page tells different.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MusicBee/MusicBee_audio.htm

Hi Vincent:

Practice
Using WASAPI requires a media player supporting this driver in exclusive mode.
Players like MusicBee or Foobar do, WMP don’t.

This extract from your WASAPI section is the source of my comment.  I see now that I misread the statement.  I apologize for the mistake.

You probably need to configure your DAC
Set it to "allow applications to take exclusive control" in the Anvanced audio settings
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm

ArthurDaniels

You probably need to configure your DAC
Set it to "allow applications to take exclusive control" in the Anvanced audio settings
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm

[/quote]

I had previously enacted this setting when I set up my Peachtree DAC.  So, thanks for reminding me of it's location.  Therefore, I have been running in Exclusive Mode.

Steven

• Administrator
As playing music files from RAM has come up a number of times, for the next v3.1 update i have added support for that. Its set in the Player preferences.
MB will limit the amount loaded to 48MB ie. if the file is larger then 48MB then only 48MB of the file is loaded and the remainder loaded as the file plays

vincent kars

It is an option that will be appreciated  if you have a system with a high DPC latency.
There are people claiming to hear a difference between WAV and FLAC
The line of reasoning is that expanding FLAC generates more “noise” as it requires more resources.
Memory playback solves this as the fully decoded audio is stored in memory.
Nice playground.
Much appreciated

Steven

• Administrator
It is an option that will be appreciated  if you have a system with a high DPC latency.
There are people claiming to hear a difference between WAV and FLAC
The line of reasoning is that expanding FLAC generates more “noise” as it requires more resources.
Memory playback solves this as the fully decoded audio is stored in memory.
Nice playground.
Much appreciated
actually the implementation only loads the raw data into memory and isnt already decompressed, so its only helping for the cases where your network connection might drop out during playback or for those who believe that disc activity during playback introduces some sort of noise when decoding (of course windows or other applications can cause the disc activity anyway)
To load the data decoded is possible but is substantially more involved than whats done so far.

ArthurDaniels

Hi Steven,

Do you have a projected date for release of the next 3.1 update?

Best,

Art

ArthurDaniels

Steven,

Also, for what it might be worth...

I use two music-software programs to stream my music -- MusicBee and MusiCHI.  MusiCHI loads music files into RAM for playback.  I do not know to what extent MusiCHI loads files (whether or not there is a built-in RAM limitation).  Thus far, in my setup, I have not noticed any differences in streaming (no stuttering, etc.) between running MusicBee and MusiCHI.

To me, the major advantage to RAM storage is the ability to edit while listening and the ability to retain selected files for playback, if I shut the player down, then start it again.

I hope that I understand this capability correctly.

Best,

Art

The Incredible Boom Boom

As playing music files from RAM has come up a number of times, for the next v3.1 update i have added support for that. Its set in the Player preferences.
MB will limit the amount loaded to 48MB ie. if the file is larger then 48MB then only 48MB of the file is loaded and the remainder loaded as the file plays

Is it still the case that 48MB of a file is loaded into MusicBee or has that been expanded more recently, @Steven?
Also, when you say "the remainder" loaded, is that also in 48MB chunks or in smaller increments?