Author Topic: "Involved People" tag is populating the artist field in 3.1  (Read 7417 times)

Phaedrus

I use the "Involved People" field when I tag my files from Discogs in Media Monkey. (Hate the program, but the Discogs plugin is awesome.) I use a custom tag to show these in MusicBee. Everything is fine in version 3.

I imported some new albums into MusicBee, and now the "Involved People" tag is taking over the Artist field. Suddenly my inbox has things like: <Artist = " Design Concept: Adam Ant"> and <role/ instrument = Art Direction: Adam Ant> (Obviously minus the brackets) I also notice that now I suddenly have a bunch of engineers and photographers listed in my artist field. Many of these are labeled properly; and I really don't want them there, I want them under "Involved People." (or musiciancredits; I want the field searchable, but I don't want to see them as artists.)

Seems like anything tagged with ID3 v2.3 has the issue with weird Artist \ role/ instrument combinations, and somehow I have colons where I should have semi-colons. I did a test, and converted the tags to 2.4 by synchronizing the tags to the database, and now, according to MP3Tag, these are all under "musiciancredits." I'm good with that, but they still show up under artist.

Any ideas on how I fix this? Am I doomed to version 3.0? Open to all suggestions, that don't involve removing tags, or sorting through all 82K files manually. I also want to maintain the tags I've already added by splitting artists manually, so a bulk "Remove anything other than the artist" is out as well.

Thank you, and I look forward to conquering the learning curve.
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

phred

• Global Moderator
Release notes for 3.1: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21135.msg124602#new

The thread regarding changes to 'involved people' and other tags: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20494.0

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Involved People/Musicians Credit List has been moved to the artist splitter to replace performer for mp3 files.  However you shouldn't be seeing specific roles as part of the Artist tag group.  If you are, maybe give us a screenshot of the artist splitter?

As for the role formatting, I believe the actual tags stay the same behind the scenes, but MusicBee formats them for display in a way that makes them look the same between mp3, FLAC, etc
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Phaedrus

It looks like I have a formatting issue as well; I definitely see some inconsistent spacing, and punctuation use. One of the reasons I hate crowd-sourced tags. Not everyone uses the same level of care.

Artist Splitter view of two tracks. The Adam Ant track seems the most egregious offender;

Tag Inspector View for the same tracks.

Mp3tag Extended tags.

TagScanner view of the files.

I confess that I'm not as experienced with the nuances of tags as I want to be. It is confusing the heck out of my tiny lizard brain. I burn a lot of gray cells at work, and frankly; I'm starting to run out. Sorry if this an obvious one, thanks for your time and patience.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

Steven

• Administrator
if you are using ID3V2.3 tags on mp3 files, it would be best to avoid using ":" anywhere

Phaedrus

if you are using ID3V2.3 tags on mp3 files, it would be best to avoid using ":" anywhere

Thanks! That seems likely, and easily fixed. Seems like an awesome feature, by the way, if one's tags are consistent.

"Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention several years ago."
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

Steven

• Administrator
actually i might make some changes as the interaction with "Musician Credits" in mp3Tag is not what i thought for ID3v2.3

Steven

• Administrator
could you send me a zip of the Adam Ant file?
There is one bug i found when a performer with no role is in the middle of the involved people causes the following roles to get out of alignment. But i suspect something else is going on in your case

edit:
Just regarding MediaMonkey, it seems it takes a different approach to how this field is saved as compared to mp3Tag and MusicBrainz. Looking at your screenshots i think thats probably is going wrong in your case but still send me the file and i will try to accomodate MediaMonkeys formatting as well
Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:03:30 PM by Steven

Phaedrus

PM Sent.

Just saw the edit; Media Monkey is a strange beast. I would stop using it altogether, but the Discogs tagging plugin is great. (Well, then again..) I figure I'll have all the damage it's done to my library fixed some day.

Thanks again, hope it helps.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

hiccup

Just saw the edit; Media Monkey is a strange beast. I would stop using it altogether, but the Discogs tagging plugin is great.

The developer of that plugin has visited the MusicBee forum and showed interest in developing something similar for MusicBee, but he has remained silent for a long time now:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13333.msg104671#msg104671

Steven

• Administrator
this should address the MediaMonkey formating issue. You will need to rescan the files in question using right click/ Send To/ Rescan Files

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee files

Phaedrus

Noice! Works perfectly. Thanks!

I'm still going to get rid of all those pesky colons, though.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

Steven

• Administrator
I am not sure i understand.
The files you edited in MediaMonkey had a colon to separate the role/instrument and artist - certainly in the file you sent and also for the files i tested with MediaMonkey.
When edited in the MB tag editor, you shouldnt see any colons for those files, but only as long as you rescan the files first

Phaedrus

My tags are wildly inconsistent. Some of them have colons, and some have semi-colons as separators. Based on your statement about Colons in 2.3 tags, I figure semi-colons are better separators in general, and it's easy enough to fix in the tags. Also, this way I can actually use colons for album sub-titles.

Just saw the edit; Media Monkey is a strange beast. I would stop using it altogether, but the Discogs tagging plugin is great.
The developer of that plugin has visited the MusicBee forum and showed interest in developing something similar for MusicBee, but he has remained silent for a long time now: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13333.msg104671#msg104671

I've actually talked to him on the MM forums, he said he wasn't interested in the amount of work he would have to do to get the same results from MusicBee. The new version of MM is a total rewrite, and he said he wouldn't be porting the script over for the same reason. Not everyone is as awesome as Steven.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

brainvision

hope you guys don't mind if I ask one question about the INVOLVEDPEOPLE tag.. I see Phaedrus has some formatting issues I also have, so I'm changing my tags time by time; I'm talking about the blank space at the start of each role as showed here

Does the latest patch contain a workaround for this too? I'm manually removing all the blank space from my tags when I saw them.

thanks guys
Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:29:08 AM by brainvision